News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Big Bend and New Mexico Dual Sport Ride, Lots of Pics !

Started by DutchMichael, April 04, 2005, 12:50:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DutchMichael

I have just returned from a week long dual sport ride through Big Bend and New Mexico.  I wish we could of seen more of New Mexico but the snow storms changed our minds.  the trip was in the planning stages for about 8 months.  I made the trip on my 1996 Steamer, my brother Peter on his 1998 BMW GS 1100, my brother Bob on his 2004 KTM 640 Adventure and a friend Enrique from Minneapolis on his BMW 1200 GS.  2004 ?

We also had Peters Honda 650 XR in the back of his pickup truck following us as a support truck.  We had BMW on the ride, so you know problems could surface.

The first day of the ride started in my home town of Houston, Texas.  Enrique had trailered his bike from Minn. to The Woodlands.  This is a suburb just north of Houston, where his siter lives.  Peter had rode his BMW down from Ennis, 40 miles south of Dallas.  Bob would meet us in San Antonio the following day.  My parents in the chase truck the day after in Big Bend.

The weather was great for the first day of the ride.  No pictures of the actual ride, we were all just happy to be on the road at last, enjoying the weather and the twisties.

We arrived in San Antonio early afternoon and headed downtown to the river walk to look around and have dinner.  It was a slow relaxing start to the trip.  A good way to break us in for the riding ahead.

Just a few pics on day one, more to come on future days !

DutchMichael

We meet up with my brother Bob mid-morning on day 2.  On the books for today is alot of paved road just to get us to Big Bend National Park.  About 500 miles give or take.  No problem on the Tiger,  No problem on the BMW with the air seat of the sofa seat, but I dont envy Bob on the Thumper.

After the long ride we were all looking forward to the ride on Big bend the following morning !

Sasquatch

Keep 'em comming!  Looks like a great ride.

Mudhen

\'96 Steamer

DutchMichael

Okay this is what we came for.  Better than we could of thought, and sure to be repeated.  Not alot of miles, but a whole lot of riding !

I have more photos of the day that Bob took, but they will not upload.  Let me work on this problem and get these photos online as well.

Day 4 through 7 are still coming !

DutchMichael

I have fixed Bob's pictures.  They were to large.  They will not be in order with the rest.  Please check out the comments.

A quick summary of the day.

Great on and off road riding.

2 BMW's.  2 busted top boxes.

1 KTM  2 times taking a nap during the ride.

1 Tiger.  Need we say more...  No problems or naps !

More to come for day 4.  Big Bend National Park to Las Cruces, New Mexico.

newmanr19

Nice ride report; You'll have to mention to your KTM friend that he absolulely needs to invest in a side stand; either that or park on firm ground <g>

SW Moto makes the best one; it bolts right on and does not interfere with the stock center stand; I have one on my 640 and wouldn't go off road without one.

bahtiger

Great write-up and pics!

ridin gaijin

Nice ride! How hot was it, and how far did you go on the trails?...Interesting, the sleepy KTM and the crappy Beemer.
2005 Tiger in Lucifurry Orange. Always something new it seems...