News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

ignition switch

Started by Mossy, September 26, 2014, 05:09:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossy

Hi all
Haven't posted anything for ages because the Tiger never did anything wrong, until a couple of weeks ago that is.
The ignition switch started playing up by not lighting up any ignition lights unless you gave the key a wriggle, which was OK for while until it started cutting out while riding it.
So I priced a new switch from the local dealer. None in Australia, a 6-8 week delivery time, $300 and I would have to pay 50% up front. Half hr later I had one on the way from the States for $160 delivered, though it did take just over a week to arrive. Fitted it last Sunday without too much trouble only to find then that the battery was cactus. New battery Wednesday and all is well again  :icon_biggrin:
Cheers Mossy
2004 Lucifer Orange 955
1960 TR6 Trophy Scrambler
1953 Thunderbird Salt Lake Racer
1950 250 Excelsior Talisman Twin
1926 250 Levis

mark_s

We have the same price differentials in NZ - the dealers somehow think they can charge at least twice what we can buy direct from overseas.

I was just quoted NZ$912 for a new radiator for my 06...

NortonCharlie

Might be worth checking the old switch.  They have been known to have solder connections go bad.  Re-soldering the connections will fix it up.  If that is the case the old switch will still have value, maybe worth keeping as a backup.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

Fe Man

I had a similar problem with mine! I re-soldered the connection and then epoxy filled the back of the switch. Actually I used E6000 because of pliability. A word of warning, make sure you are "done" before you fill it up with anything because getting back in ain't going to be easy!

Mossy

I'll have a look at the old switch one day and see if it can be repaired.
Filling with epoxy is a good idea.
Cheers Mossy
2004 Lucifer Orange 955
1960 TR6 Trophy Scrambler
1953 Thunderbird Salt Lake Racer
1950 250 Excelsior Talisman Twin
1926 250 Levis