News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Thermostat air bleed valve problem

Started by mark_s, September 26, 2014, 10:26:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mark_s

Hi

The air bleed bolt behind the radiator cap won't undo or tighten - it just rotates - I presume there is a metal thread in the plastic housing that is spinning?

I have run the bike tankless twice until the fan kicks in and it doesnt appear to leak - do you think I can just ignore it or am I likely to have an undertank geyser at some inconvenient moment?

cheers

Mark

NortonCharlie

There is a metal insert, brass I believe, that the bleed screw goes into.  Not sure how much a problem it will be, hard to believe it doesn't leak.  I don't suppose you have a coolant system pump to check and see if the system actually holds pressure? 

If it were mine I would probably try and figure out how to fix it.  I hate it when things let loose 100 miles from no-where.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

KuzzinKenny

Hey mark_s !! no idea what year yer bike is but the good news is that the part can come off any Girly  :icon_wink: 855i or 955i so get down to yer bike brakers and get one before it lets go !!

bookmark this link for future info  :thumbsup

http://www.worldoftriumph.com/section.php/4379/1/triumph_parts

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

mark_s

Thanks for the responses guys (and the link)

Does the brass insert go all the way to the top of the moulding?

I don't want to disassemble the thermostat right now as I am under a little time pressure to have the bike ready for its relicencing/registration tests (I brought it as an insurance right-off an have only ridden it 50mts so far)

Once I have confidence that the bike runs ok and motor is sound I'll go back through everything and fix this sort of stuff properly

Chris Canning

If it's not leaking leave well alone I've change the fluid on mine plenty of times and never touched it just squeeze the pipe to make sure there's no air lock fill to the top and put the rad cap on.

mark_s

Quote from: Chris Canning on September 27, 2014, 10:31:27 PM
If it's not leaking leave well alone I've change the fluid on mine plenty of times and never touched it just squeeze the pipe to make sure there's no air lock fill to the top and put the rad cap on.

finally got to take it for its first ride after work today

didn't leak a drop of coolant and the bike seemed to run really well - felt stronger down low than I remember the previous two early girlies I rode.
A bit surgy on light throttle at low speeds but it probably needs a good tune.

Spud

Mark s where about in Kiwi land are you from, my Mrs is from Gore  :bug_eye  :augie

cheers Spud  :thumbsup

mark_s

Quote from: Spud on September 30, 2014, 06:49:03 PM
Mark s where about in Kiwi land are you from, my Mrs is from Gore  :bug_eye  :augie

cheers Spud  :thumbsup
Hi Spud

Hi I'm in Raumati Beach (Kapiti)- about 50km north of Wellington

I brought an sv1000 earlier this year that came from Gore - its a stunning ride from Gore to Raumati - perfect Tiger territory

cheers

Mark