News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

New noise - and not in a good way

Started by Bixxer Bob, October 01, 2014, 12:07:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

I've been perplexed by an increasing amount of noise from my engine, cam chain-like in nature.  I checked the tension, changed the tensioner and generally looked over everything down the right side but to no avail; I couldn't find anything wrong.

Today I was testing the new TuneECU software and thought I'd fire her up to check the display when it happened.  A couple of cranks, just to the point where she usually fires and then a loud click followed by it chugging over on the starter with no sign of it firing accompanied by the screech of tortured metal.  it could be something wrong in the starter gear train, but as it is, I fear it might be the cam chain. 

I don't have time to look at it for the foreseeable due to too much other work so the Blackbird will have to cover until I can get round to it.

John Stenhouse - you had cam chain failure did you not?  Did you have a valve / piston coming together or do they clear each other?  I really hope I don't have to strip it..... :icon_rolleyes:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

PeteH

Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

NKL

Valves are unlikely to miss the piston, I'm sure they have valve cut outs in them for clearance. If cam chain has gone whilst cranking I would expect it to stop the engine turning over if valves hit piston.

But it doesn't sound good.
I\'m immortal..........well so far!!!
-----------------------------------
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100

KuzzinKenny

Hey BB !! think positive, at least it wasn't runnin when it broke so any damage should be minimal, i hope  :icon_confused: don't try and turn it over with the key but if ya must turn it over put it on the centre stand, select top gear and turn the rear wheel, listen and feel for anything odd, if the engine turns over ok it could be the starter as you've already said, i hope it aint terminal  :icon_eek:

good luck

KK 
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

John Stenhouse

That's the second time you've said that BB, never had anything in the valve gear on mine, touch wood apart from vacuum pipes all I've ever done is service it.......oh and a throttle cable
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Chris Canning

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on October 01, 2014, 12:07:13 AM
I've been perplexed by an increasing amount of noise from my engine, cam chain-like in nature.  I checked the tension, changed the tensioner and generally looked over everything down the right side but to no avail; I couldn't find anything wrong.

Today I was testing the new TuneECU software and thought I'd fire her up to check the display when it happened.  A couple of cranks, just to the point where she usually fires and then a loud click followed by it chugging over on the starter with no sign of it firing accompanied by the screech of tortured metal.  it could be something wrong in the starter gear train, but as it is, I fear it might be the cam chain. 

I don't have time to look at it for the foreseeable due to too much other work so the Blackbird will have to cover until I can get round to it.

John Stenhouse - you had cam chain failure did you not?  Did you have a valve / piston coming together or do they clear each other?  I really hope I don't have to strip it..... :icon_rolleyes:

How many miles has the bike done?

Bixxer Bob

John S - who was it then.... :icon_scratch:

Chris - not sure, 31k I think.

Kenny - it was cranking when it happened.  Nothing is hitting anything so that's good.  The noise wasn't like anything I've heard before - maybe timing chain rubbing strip, I don't know.  As soon as I get the chance I'll whip the cam cover off and see what's what.  I'll also have a look at the starter gears.  It didn't sound like it was going to make any attempt to fire so maybe the chain just skipped a tooth.  That doesn't explain the noise though.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

HockleyBoy

Bob,

Cam chain jumped on my first Tiger, it was terminal (and spectacular) as I was doing around 60 mph at the time. I went for a replacement engine as it was cheaper than a rebuild. If that is your problem you should have done far less damage than I did so hopefully it is fixable.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Bixxer Bob

Thanks for putting your hand up,  I knew I wasn't imagining it  :icon_smile:

Chris Canning

I'd be wanting plugs out and turn the motor in gear or be slowly.

Bixxer Bob

It's too late for that Chris, whatever broke went while I was trying to start it.  As soon as I get a chance I'll be having the cambox cover off and plugs out and lining everything up to see what's what.

Bixxer Bob

I made a start on it today; took the starter cover off and the starter clutch cover also.  Good news is the cam chain is under tension and appears ok.  Having  :icon_study: the Haynes and working from memory  :sign13 I think the sprag is slipping - hence the tortured metal noise. Tomorrow we will see.

If correct, so far there's no suitable ones on Ebay so maybe have to fork out for  Triumph parts  :icon_rolleyes:

KuzzinKenny

Hey BB !! an easy fix i hope  :thumbsup

what about...........

http://www.triumph-ant.co.uk

KK

ps just had a looky !! PFKL1199178   SPRAG CLUTCH. ASSY   £ 183.02  :bug_eye

good thing is most O the 955i's use the same part and the 1050's

http://www.worldoftriumph.com/section.php/4379/1/triumph_parts

:thumbsup
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

Bixxer Bob

Thanks Kenny, I had done some research last night to see which others are compatible with my engine although I don't really fancy putting a used one in; false economy and all that.

Anyway, a deeper look this morning revealed that cam chain tension and top end are all ok, so spun it over on the starter with the plugs out and it's definitely the sprag.  It's not slipping as far as I can tell, but it's making an awful noise.  I'll record it later if I get the chance.

So, next job is to strip it and see what's wrong.  If I'm lucky, I might get away with just replacing the bearing.  Not today though, we're off out for a meal and then the theatre - an Oscar Wilde play called The Importance of Being Ernest.. :^_^

Bixxer Bob