News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

New noise - and not in a good way

Started by Bixxer Bob, October 01, 2014, 12:07:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

Aye, I won't get to it till next Tuesday at the earliest, got locks to pick tomorrow and a visit to the bank, sister's arriving for the weekend tomorrow night, hospital Monday morning and work Monday afternoon.  It's all go..... :icon_rolleyes:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

metalguru

Bout time you came out of retirement and got a job, might have a quieter life there!!

While you have the sprag out, remove the rollers and give them a rub with some 1200 wet or dry.
Same with the mating surfaces just to eliminate any slippage as the rollers and their mating surfaces become polished with use.

:thumbsup
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

Bixxer Bob

Was going to have another go today but got a really awful cold.  The more I think about it the more I suspect a cam has jumped a tooth because it happened on the starter not when the engine was running and putting the plugs back in didn't make any difference to the effort put in by the starter.  The only way (I think) that it could lose compression suddenly in that scenario is a cam shift.

If it is, it's an easy fix, (provided nothing got bent) but I feel lousy today so it's something to look forward to....  :icon_rolleyes:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Bixxer Bob

Camshaft, chain and tensioner all good.  Completely baffled as to what's going on with the noise from that area.  Will just start  ignoring it for now.  Tried to start it today, injectors aren't firing.  Last time that happened it was a corrupt map issue so swapped to spare ECU but still the same problem.  Hadn't time to check for MIL codes but I expect to find a crank sensor fault, my logic being the ECU will only signal the injectors to fire at the right crank angle.  If the ECU doesn't know the crank is turning it won't fire them.  I checked the cabling for continuity and volts to the injectors - all good.  One thing I didn't do was momentarily ground the injector output wire (injector in wires are live all the time, the ECU grounds the out wire to fire it) to see if the injector fires so might do that tomorrow.

On the up side,  this all started when I went out to try it after parking it for a month after Scotland.  It could easily have been while I was away.   Getting fed up with it now though.....

John Stenhouse

Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Bixxer Bob

Not from what I can see.  The marks don't line up perfectly, to get the cam marks exactly in line the crank mark is ever so slightly out, but not a whole tooth out. 

Anyway, a map reload got the injectors working again and it coughed a couple of times this morning, the way an engine does when the fuel just starts to get thorough, but the battery has had enough so it's on charge for now.  Fingers crossed for later.

Bixxer Bob

IT LIVES!!!!

With a freshly charged battery and my spare ECU with a clean map and midrange trims, it reluctantly coughed into life.  After a few minutes to warm it up I balanced the TBs - they were way out (how the F**K does that happen.....)  and she's now purring away like there'd never been anything wrong.

The right side of the engine is still a bit noisy but I'm absolutely sure there's nothing wrong in there now, I've had it apart so many times in the last couple of weeks.

So what happened???  My thoughts,  first I broke one of my golden rules about keeping the battery topped up.  It hadn't stood very long since the last charge so though it would be ok.  It turned over happily enough but clearly the voltage was down.  My guess at the noise in the timing chain area was completely wrong (I'd had some noise from there for a while and so assumed this was it coming to  head).  I now think that the change in noise was due to the ECU crying enough and failing to fire the injectors.  (Think back to the old days trying to start a bike when there's no fuel in the carb - the noise and speed it throws over is completely different).  It wasn't till I was pondering over the injectors not working that the lightbulb came on :sign13 and I thought "Hang on, I've been here before, when the dealer broke it" and from there followed the same recovery path.

As always, I don't mind putting my hand up to getting it wrong initially if it helps someone further down the line.  I make the mistakes so you don't have to  :icon_mrgreen:  Perhaps I'll put that on my profile  :thumbsup

Chris Canning

Don't think it's anything to do with being wrong but as old as the Tiger is it's still pretty modern day with what makes it tick and there so many trees that you end up barking up  :icon_scratch: anyway glad it's going.  :icon_wink:

John Stenhouse

Holy flow chart problem solving batman! Glad you sorted it, now can you pack enough of the tech kit with you to get it across the states in 2016?  :augie

Sin_Tiger

Spot the Girly owner, the one with  :XXcomputer RSI   :ImaPoser
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: John Stenhouse on November 27, 2014, 01:33:34 PM
Holy flow chart problem solving batman! Glad you sorted it, now can you pack enough of the tech kit with you to get it across the states in 2016?  :augie

Funny you should say that,  I went to France this year with a mini laptop, TuneECU, Tuneboy, Cable and a spare ECU loaded with a clean install of map and trims  :icon_biggrin:.  Then got an effing puncture.  :BangHead

Chris Canning

I was going to say I carry an RAC card but did you see in the Wednesday comic two weeks ago when they were saying they don't work on the Peage because it's private :icon_eek:

Sin_Tiger

We've had Sod's Law since time immemorial,  more recently Claire's Law and a few others, so no reason we shouldn't get bang up to date with Bixxer's Law  :qgaraduate
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

John Stenhouse

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on November 27, 2014, 03:02:55 PM
Funny you should say that,  I went to France this year with a mini laptop, TuneECU, Tuneboy, Cable and a spare ECU loaded with a clean install of map and trims  :icon_biggrin:.  Then got an effing puncture.  :BangHead

Great we'll mend the punctures if you take care of the electronic shenanigans!  :wheel

KuzzinKenny

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on November 27, 2014, 03:02:55 PM

:ImaPoser  :ImaPoser  :ImaPoser

Glad to hear shes purrin again  :thumbsup

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly