News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Oil change question

Started by benebob, October 02, 2014, 05:02:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benebob

As many of you know I was hit by a drunk driver back in dec of 2012.  Bought a new bike then had a bunch of complications.  Road a bit for 1/2 the year putting on maybe 750-1000 miles.  Had changed the oil last December with Mobil 1.  Well finally lost my job due to my injuries and won't be riding any time soon (last on the bike on June 5th but I've had some friends put some miles on it a few times over the summer).  Will be having my 4th surgery of the year later this month and will not be able to do anything with the bike until late winter/early spring at the earliest.   Anyways, question is would you change the oil.  I used Mobil 1 4T when I did it last Dec, oil looks pretty good.  Normally I would just do it as I change the oil in my TVR every fall on storage to limit the effects of deposits but being a little unsettled financially spending $80 for a case of oil and filter because I'm anal is something I'd be happy not to do if consensus says it would be okay to skip it.  Will fill the tank and add some stabilizer, clean and lube the chain good before mothballing the poor girl.
99 Tiger 885i (Killed 12/23/12 9:52am EST by a drunk driver) 06 Tiger 955i (traded 12/23/16  12:52pm)
13 Tiger 800

Chris Canning

9 times out of 10 opinions are always linked to bank accounts!!!,I've seen guys not change engine oil for years and the bikes still keep going,I was trying to work out how many oil changes mine has had in the nearly 14 years I've had the bike it must be mid 20's at least but course you have to ask the question are you doing it for the bike or your head!!!!

In your situation I'd leave as is so long as the thought of that used oil in your pride and joy doesn't drive you nuts over the winter.

Mustang

:iagree with chris

lots of new vehicles(autos) have engine oil monitors that tell you when to change the oil and they don't usually tell you very often to change the oil .
Like over 10 k miles and still don't tell you that the oil is ready for a change .
My nephews new Ford Fusion Hybrid oil monitor has never told him to change oil and he has over 20,000 miles on it .
my Ford van is the same at 12k and still hasn't said to change oil , (even though I did it once )

benebob

Cool, I'll just leave it in then.  Thanks for the confirmation gents.
99 Tiger 885i (Killed 12/23/12 9:52am EST by a drunk driver) 06 Tiger 955i (traded 12/23/16  12:52pm)
13 Tiger 800

Bixxer Bob

Off on a bit of a tangent, I've always wondered how Nissan manage to get a diesel to go 18,000 miles between oil changes, until I had it serviced at my local garage instead of the main dealer.  Apparently modern oil is up to the job and it has a special long life oil filter.

Back on track, if the oil is clean as you say, you put inhibitor in the fuel and look after the battery all should be well.  I mothballed a Ducati for someone last year and I also got it off the ground to protect the tyres, as well as covering them to protect from UV light.  I contacted the makers of one or two fuel inhibitors and they all said the same: good for 6 months only.  Probably just covering their backs but worth knowing.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

My Sprinter van is 25,000 between oil changes,just couldn't bring myself to do that and change at 12000,but there is a trick the engine holds a lot more oil than a stock Merc diesel engine.