News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

05 Tiger horrible gas mileage

Started by oakey134, October 14, 2014, 03:15:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakey134

Well, not sure where to go from here. I have an 05 tiger with 3000 kms on it but the fuel consumption is out of contol. I am only getting about 200kms to a tank of gas. My wife said when she rides behind me all she can smell is gas.  First I had a problem with low rpm surging so I loaded a new map which got rid of the surging but I lost the throttle response which I believe is because of the fuel mixture. I have the tuneecu software so if someone can point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it. The bike sat around alot before I purchased it but other than the rich fuel mixture and poor throttle response the bike runs good. I think if I can get the rich fuel mixture sorted the bike would be outstanding. I spoke to a dealer but I didn't really like the direction the conversation was heading $$$$. (Well the bike has sat around alot so we will need to do this and then that and then etc, etc etc.)

Bixxer Bob

It's low mileage so unlikely to be anything you can't fix. If it's putting too much fuel in, most likely the ECU is trying to compensate for too much air.  As it's been sitting around for a while, I'd look for air leaks first.  If there are any they are a cheap easy fix.  Easy stuff first  :nod 

There's plenty of recent posts about air leaks, just do a little reading  :thumbsup
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

oakey134

I looked for air leaks although not 100 percent sure how to do it properly other than by sight.

NortonCharlie

Could be a leaky fuel injector, nothing your ECU can do to fix that.  You mentioned it sat for a while.  I would try and run some good fuel system cleaner through it and see if it clears up.  Sea Foam is one I have had excellent results with. 
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

oakey134

I tried seafoam with no change. I think I will have no choice but bting the bike into the dealer and hope for the best.

John Stenhouse

Air leaks all under the tank so tank off first then see where you go.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Ron in Buffalo

I had the same problem. I had a a fuel hose that was crack it did not leak all the time but it did enough to give the smell of gas occasionally. The crack was close to end of the hose. Cut off crack piece and it seemed to take care of problem. However this is a temporary fix I plan to change fuel lines this winter. Also my bike is a 1999.  Ron

srelegante2

I replaced the fuel lines on my 955 a few years ago, and it needed it again last month. The heat cracks them.

Pull the tank, check for plastic fuel connector failure and poor fuel lines.

It has to be something simple.

Let us know!

SE

Fe Man

oakey134

I pulled the tank once, but I guess I will have to do it again and look a little closer. Maybe I will just replace all the air hoses.