News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

2005 Tiger has poor fuel mileage, low idle, won't restart hot

Started by tntmo, October 19, 2014, 07:24:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tntmo

I can double check, maybe it was 78% I was getting on the TPS wide open throttle. 

Will ensure all programs are off next time on the computer.

Guess what you're saying about the hot start issue is to see if I'm getting any RPM readings while cranking it over?  YES

I'll check the O2 sensor, am I looking for continuity, an ohms range...or what exactly?  you should have a reading of around 4-8 ohms on white /brown pink.  If it's U/S it'll most likely be open circuit

I have run the IACV with the tank off, it cycles smoothly. 

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on November 13, 2014, 11:22:08 PM
Ok,  first the TPS reading.  It'll never read 100% but 78% is normal, 72% is a bit low.  Next, as Kenny says, stop all the other computer functions while you're running TuneECU.  I was using a fairly old laptop at Chris Canning's last weekend and it was difficult to see a smooth TPS action because the laptop couldn't process the data and update the screen fast enough.

I can't comment on TPS reading "1" because I can't get to mine at the moment and can't remember.  When it's hot and won't start, is the rev counter responding to the starter motor cranking it over???  I'm thinking maybe the crank sensor is the culprit here, although they don't usually start at all when hot.  Any discrepancy between what you hear the engine doing on the starter and what you see on the rev counter would point this way.  I'd still do a continuity check on the heater element for the O2 sensor too.  Oh, and run the IACV diagnostic while you have the airbox off and watch / listen to it working just to make sure it's not faulty too.

Bixxer Bob

Having gotten a result on Chris's bike, check your coil dwell intervals as well, they should all be the same, and, judgi8ng by Chris's bike, around 1.68 msecs.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

tntmo

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on November 16, 2014, 11:02:12 PM
Having gotten a result on Chris's bike, check your coil dwell intervals as well, they should all be the same, and, judgi8ng by Chris's bike, around 1.68 msecs.

If that's the numbers that are on the TuneECU screen, I'm getting 1.5(ish) on all of them, and all the numbers are a bit different.  The screen shot I took at 4k RPM's is 1.529 / 1.519 / 1.538 

Should I be looking for a set of coils?

Bixxer Bob

They are the correct numbers and they look fine.  I found an old screenshot of my readings and they are nearly the same.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

tntmo

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on November 17, 2014, 10:40:20 PM
They are the correct numbers and they look fine.  I found an old screenshot of my readings and they are nearly the same.

Darn, I was hoping they were way off and I needed new coils.  I still have to read out the O2 sensor.

Bixxer Bob

The O2 heater resistance should be as I said, checked with an Ohm meter, O2 sensor voltage on TuneECU should be about  0.46v

tntmo

metalguru

Have a go at cycling the Idle Control Valve (IACV) via TuneEcu, apologies if the tank is back on, to make sure it is moving up and down the bore.
Try knocking the Long Term Fuel Trim (LTFT) down to about 3.7 and see what it runs like. It should run VERY bad at about 2.5 and 5.0. This adjustment is like the main jet in a carb.
Take Idle Fuel Trim to zero.
Perform 'blip' test to ascertain setting of IACV.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

Bixxer Bob

Cross purposes here, working on three different bikes, I thought the IACV had been done but reading back it seems not.  It's another likely suspect.

tntmo

I have observed the IACV operation while the tank was off, while turning the key on/off. 

I haven't ran the IACV test with TuneECU with the tank off, though.

I will try the LTFT settings, etc.

Stitch

LTFT @ 4.5 explains the poor fuel economy. My 05 runs well @ the 3.7ish mark but with the methanol/oxygenated fuel  (same in your neck of the woods) my mileage is 40-42mpg with my tweaked TOR tune.

Does your Tigger happen to be a California model to where it has an evaporative cannister tied into the IACV lines(since your profile states San Diego)? Several things to look at if you do (check valves stuck, sticky purge solenoid, etc.) Mine is a CA model and wreaked havoc on my IACV until the day it "magically fell off into a million bits". Hoses were modified and the "purge solenoid to nowhere" zipped tied/harness connected keeps the ECM happy.

The hot soak issue still bothers me....usually a fuel issue. Did you check the fuel pressure? Gauges can be rented for free at Autozone/Orielly's but you might have to adapt to the line(s). Your model has a pressure regulator with a vacuum line? If it does I would assume you checked it for leak and vacuum source?

2005 Silver/Black Tiger 955

tntmo

Busy as always, military life gets in the way of fixing the Tiger.  I have a rare day off so I'm going to set the LTFT, see if that helps anything

If the bike was originally a CA model, all the evap stuff was removed before I got it.  There is nothing connected to the extra wiring harness plug that's near the throttle bodies.  It's always been that way, ran well before so....? 

Have not check fuel pressure.   I don't think it has a pressure regulator with vacuum line?

I ordered some eBay coils, since I've seen a few people with that issue.  I figured I'm about due to start throwing parts at this thing.

Quote from: Stitch on November 20, 2014, 03:51:09 AM
LTFT @ 4.5 explains the poor fuel economy. My 05 runs well @ the 3.7ish mark but with the methanol/oxygenated fuel  (same in your neck of the woods) my mileage is 40-42mpg with my tweaked TOR tune.

Does your Tigger happen to be a California model to where it has an evaporative cannister tied into the IACV lines(since your profile states San Diego)? Several things to look at if you do (check valves stuck, sticky purge solenoid, etc.) Mine is a CA model and wreaked havoc on my IACV until the day it "magically fell off into a million bits". Hoses were modified and the "purge solenoid to nowhere" zipped tied/harness connected keeps the ECM happy.

The hot soak issue still bothers me....usually a fuel issue. Did you check the fuel pressure? Gauges can be rented for free at Autozone/Orielly's but you might have to adapt to the line(s). Your model has a pressure regulator with a vacuum line? If it does I would assume you checked it for leak and vacuum source?

Bixxer Bob

Regarding the LTFT mine runs 4.18 on both ECUs and returns around 50mpg (that's UK gallons).

Stitch

It still has a fuel relief valve and probably a check valve in the pump since it is a return-less fuel delivery system. You may want to visit checking the fuel psi and see if it bleeds off before you start throwing parts at it to ensure the fuel items are up to snuff.
2005 Silver/Black Tiger 955

tntmo

Quote from: Stitch on December 17, 2014, 03:31:23 AM
It still has a fuel relief valve and probably a check valve in the pump since it is a return-less fuel delivery system. You may want to visit checking the fuel psi and see if it bleeds off before you start throwing parts at it to ensure the fuel items are up to snuff.

Returnless fuel delivery?  It has a supply and return line on the tank.