News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

2005 Tiger has poor fuel mileage, low idle, won't restart hot

Started by tntmo, October 19, 2014, 07:24:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

2005 was the changeover year.  You've got a pre-VIN model,  does it have Girly eyelashes around the headlights??? (How Girlies got their name....)
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Stitch

Return-less fuel delivery was a design change VIN#207447 and higher. Regardless of the type, I would still check the fuel pressure. You stated you had a bunch of miles (which warrants at least checking it) and the "hot soak" condition seems to be the last thing you need to sort (if I am reading through the post correctly)
2005 Silver/Black Tiger 955

Bixxer Bob

Just read back through some of this and noticed your O2 sensor is showing a lean mixture suggesting (as Stitch's fuel pressure idea suggests) not enough fuel or too much air.  Simple check for the fuel pressure is turn ign on, liten to pump till it shuts off, turn off ign and disconnect the fuel line.  If it spurts (careful not to have any sparks etc) like mine does, you have at least some pressure.

If you have fuel pressure you're looking at air leaks (IACV, hoses etc etc) 

You might want to look here where the problem is the opposite as far as O2 goes:

http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,14155.msg106893.html#msg106893

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Bixxer Bob

metalguru

Have you noticed the Baro is always the same value with TECU?????
Probably something I have forgotten!!

2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

Bixxer Bob

Don't think so Nige,  mine's 1020 here,  the earlier shot is 1006 and in a different thread it's 1031.  The value in mine 1020 is in KPa which converts to 765 mmHg  roughly what Tuneboy says.

Maybe Kent is like California (in that the weather never changes)....  :ImaPoser

tntmo

Well I've been in and out of port a lot, haven't had a lot of time to mess with El Tigre but I decided to pull the injectors and clean them using some of the online videos as a guide.  Seemed to help a little bit. 

I also decided to buy a more powerful battery, so did some research and decided on a Shorai lithium ion.  Now it starts hot, cold, medium, doesn't matter.  Turns over noticeably faster, so I am considering it money well spent since I no longer have to pay homeless people at the gas station to help push start my bike. 

I won't be home much for the rest of the year, so this might be as far as I get troubleshooting the bike.  I was considering selling it before deployment, but since it starts every time now I am holding onto it and trying to work out the details.  I only need 14,000 more miles to turn it over 100K. 

Bixxer Bob

Might be an idea to check your battery voltage (at the battery) with the engine running, just to eliminate iffy charging components.

Over the years sooo many seemingly unrelated running problems are eventually trace to the charging circuit.  these old girls absolutely don't like poor batteries or volts, it causes all sorts of problems which I strongly believe is down to the ECU not being able to manage the trims correctly on low volts.

tntmo

I'm suspecting my charging system is not perfect.  It's putting out just a  touch over 13VDC at idle, and above 3-4K it's putting out 13.3-13.4VDC.   Seems that it should be doing better than that.

Edit to add:  That was measured as soon as I got home from my commute, so it was hot.  I just checked it after it sat for a few hours, I get about 13.7 at idle and 13.9 revved up. 

metalguru

One simple test to perform if the battery has either gone flat or low voltage is to reset the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS), and perform adaptation to the letter with TuneEcu. It is a simple plug and play event.
Looks like the charging system could do with the Sasquatch mod. Plenty of info on here and will give quite an improvement in that area. The voltage is lower than it should be.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

tntmo

Those voltage readings are with the Sasquatch mod already performed, running a MOSFET regulator. 

Quote from: metalguru on February 20, 2015, 11:33:04 AM
One simple test to perform if the battery has either gone flat or low voltage is to reset the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS), and perform adaptation to the letter with TuneEcu. It is a simple plug and play event.
Looks like the charging system could do with the Sasquatch mod. Plenty of info on here and will give quite an improvement in that area. The voltage is lower than it should be.

Bixxer Bob

On a MOSFET you should be getting better than that.  I'd be looking for resistance joints ie dirty connectors, weak fuses etc.  If that turns up nothing check out the stator output using the Electrexworld guide.