News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

relocating rectifier

Started by haggis95, October 19, 2014, 10:56:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haggis95

The compufire rectifier I have bought to replace my old one is somewhat thicker than the OEM and so is much harder to relocate behind/inside the frame.

Has anyone relocated on the side of the engine under the tank?
If so - how's it hanging? So to speak.

This is hanging off a Sprint 1050, though the leftside might be better for the Tiger.

What kind of bracket did you fab up to place it there?

Any tips?
There's a Tiger in my garage

haggis95

Waiting for parts to come in:

I've got the compufire regulator, the waterproof connections came in, so did the maxi fuse holder, just waiting on the 40w maxi fuse - and I'll get the mechanics shop at school to do the soldering and connecting. It's been busy for the end of the 1st quarter of the school year so I haven't been "on it."

dino1

On Honda VFR's some people will put a computer cpu fan on top of them. They run on 12volts, just wire to a switched so it runs only with key on.

trophydave

Quote from: dino1 on October 27, 2014, 03:00:01 AM
On Honda VFR's some people will put a computer cpu fan on top of them. They run on 12volts, just wire to a switched so it runs only with key on.

I did that on my VFR and my Africa Twin.Also I chopped out the rotten wiring and plug from the R/R to the loom.The R/R ran much cooler after that.

haggis95

In the end I used one original screw hole to fasten one end of the regulator and used a zip-tie to fasten the other. It seems rock solid.

Bixxer Bob

Can't remember exactly what I did, but I do remember turning it through 90 degrees (ie fins horizontal) so the air flows through it.  Can't imagine the design conversation at the factory all those years ago...  "The Rec doesn't fit if you have it so the air flows through it, it only fits if the fins block the airflow.  Do you think it might cause overheating problems"?  "Na... f**k it....."
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

benebob

I will let ya'll know if my sh775aa I just put on mine gets hot on my next long ride.  I guess it shouldn't as it is a series not shut style rr but interestingly it has fins.  I wonder if those are just there for style points. 
99 Tiger 885i (Killed 12/23/12 9:52am EST by a drunk driver) 06 Tiger 955i (traded 12/23/16  12:52pm)
13 Tiger 800

threepot

My friend had issues with his on a Transalp. It was located behind the side cover,with no ventilation! :icon_scratch:
95 Super111
96 Tiger

benebob

After the tire shake down ride (maybe a 1/2 hour the new series rectifier Sh775aa is cool to the touch.  Should solve all those heat related issues and you can even buy a Triumph plug and play harness to attach it to your Girly to boot.  Will give a long haul report at the end of June when I have put 10k on it although it is gonna be chilled by all the icebergs floating past it in Northeastern Canada.
99 Tiger 885i (Killed 12/23/12 9:52am EST by a drunk driver) 06 Tiger 955i (traded 12/23/16  12:52pm)
13 Tiger 800

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: threepot on May 27, 2015, 11:09:10 PM
My friend had issues with his on a Transalp. It was located behind the side cover,with no ventilation! :icon_scratch:

The TA and AT boys in Singapore and Malaysia used to fit a couple of small CPU fans wired to the radiator fan for the inevitable awful local traffic jams in 40+C, seemed to work.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint