News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Another charging thread

Started by srelegante2, October 30, 2014, 04:10:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

srelegante2

I installed the Rick's MOFSET RR and the Rick's stator on the 2002 955i Tiger this weekend. Along with doing the Sasquatch mod.

Charging at 13.7 at idle, rising to a maximum of 14.5.

Any ideas on how to pick up the extra .8 volts at idle?

I used the stock connectors-Rick's recommends soldering the RR wires to the stator wires. I am suspect that that is draining my .8 volts, but I could be wrong.

FWIW-I had some corrosion on the starter cable terminal that I cleaned up-that seemed to help a bit-although she is still a hard starter. Power picked up significantly upon completion of the mods!  :wheel

Ideas?

Thanks guys!

Curt

dino1

Your numbers look good with my vfr knowledge. I don't think you'll ever have flat numbers across the rpm range.

I get 12.7 at idle to 14.7 at cruising speed on my vfr.

I would recommend a datel meter on the dash to keep an eye on the system.

I have one on my vfr and it saved me from an overcharging RR. Had I not know and let it go it could have fried my wires and stator down the road. The first clue if I didn't have the meter would have been clock reset to 12:00 no tach or no start. By then the damage is done.

Mustang

you are fussing over something that is never going to happen .

all alternators , cars and trucks included , do just that .
They make more volts spinning faster .
13.7 is very good for a motorcycle at idle .

Bixxer Bob

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

srelegante2

Thanks fellas!

Rick at Rick's Motorsports Electrics agrees with you.

I am comfortable with the current charging rate-that will work fine.

Going to move on to installing a fuse block, Defender horn, and other nic nacs.

Ride safe!

Curt

Marc

Quote from: srelegante2 on October 31, 2014, 02:45:27 AM
Rick at Rick's Motorsports Electrics agrees with you.

I would not expect something else!  :icon_wink:
Tiger Explorer Graphite 2013
Bonneville SE 2010 (missus)
previous bikes:
   Tiger 955i Orange  2003
   BMW K1  1989
   Ducati 750S '72
   Matchless G80 '57
   Matchless G3L '39