News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Fuel commander

Started by fraserdog, November 07, 2014, 08:58:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fraserdog

1974 Honda CB500/4
1994 Kawasaki Zephyr 1100
2002 "Girly"
1998 Africa Twin RD07a

Chris Canning

Blimey that's a can of worm!!!! when a manufacturer submits a bike for the TUV emissions test they know the drill before going like sitting an exam and knowing the questions before hand they do the emissions test at 4250 so manufacturers cut the fuel that's going into the motor at those revs hence why any stock bike you ride will have a flat spot at such.

Not all motorcycles have a re programable ECU my 1100s hasn't so your not able to alter the ECU map oddly enough the Tiger does and hence why the likes of Bixxer and MG and altered their maps almost certainly blowing more fuel in the mid range the other option is a Power Commander which also allows you re map the fuelling as it's a piggy back on the ECU.

But in recent times Fuel mods have had a impact they are cheap and easy to fit,as it says in the instructions and the same with all the others ones I've come across the sensor in the fuel mod cons the ECU into thinking the air coming into the engine is cooler than it is and so the ECU pisses more fuel in the problem being it's pisses fuel everywhere instead of just the weak spots that short of fuel.

There's War and Piece post about such and the Pros and Cons some are adjustable(and it does make a difference) like the one you have posted but not all are the one I fitted on my Xt660 was similar and it did work of sorts I took it off(you have to find out!!!) and fitted a PC which is a world better.

I've read allsorts about the fuel mod that is available for the K1200 saying that it does the job and while my fuel mod on my XT made a difference it didn't stop the classic hunting that you get with a fuel injected bike my PC did.

Bixxer Bob

£79 to do the same as free TuneECU and a £10 cable?  Hmmm.

The theory on how it works is sound enough (hence me always banging on about airbox leaks) so it should work, but I don't think it's going to make any difference to the surging.  In fact my experience of trying to get rid of surging by adding more fuel to make it richer ended up with a ridiculously high tickover. 

To try to explain, the Tiger fuel map is very lean at 2000-5000 revs and 0 to 5%  throttle.  Adjusting this area to get rid of the lean patch is easy enough, but it's also a closed -loop area of the fuel map so anything you put in to the map is cancelled out by the O2 sensor and trims, until the trims can't cope then the tickover rises to about 2500 rpm. And when you take the fuel out of the map it doesn't end there because the trims are now miles out and it takes time to bring them back in. Or a full reload (not just a new fuel map) which resets the trims at the same time.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

I had a conversation with Bixxer on Saturday and the problem what he's said in his post about the trims I don't think mine has ever started the same way twice and what ever fuel map is put in it's different 6 months down the line which non of my others bikes are like that and the only way to find out with this fuel mod is buy one,if you don't then I will but not side of the good weather no doubt another 80 quid down the pan  :icon_scratch: :icon_wink:

fraserdog

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on November 07, 2014, 10:20:30 PM
£79 to do the same as free TuneECU and a £10 cable?  Hmmm

That's really the problem,i don't have the confidence to download maps with TuneECU although I have it on my laptop and have the lead I'm scared of messing up the whole bike and thought this might be a way out.
1974 Honda CB500/4
1994 Kawasaki Zephyr 1100
2002 "Girly"
1998 Africa Twin RD07a

Chris Canning

I'll let you into a secret then  :icon_redface: I cheated on Saturday and got Bixxer too the house you want to talk suspension/brakes/wheels and just about anything else I'm you man but when it comes to mapping I've a close friend who has a dyno so the two bikes with a PC and the other with a Rexxer map have gone that way.

Bixxer came to look at mine for various things it was an education errr well it wasn't really because I can't remember half of what he did  :icon_redface: but there's a punch line in all of this and that's when I asked are the TuneECU maps linked to Triumph and the TUV which in my book their no bloody good either which takes you into the realms of actually doing your own map and I'm never going that route.

Now I've said on here before about having maps blown into my Tiger one in an 885i and one into my 955 around 2010 they felt fantastic and the bike went really great(around the block well 20 miles!!)) but to ride 500 miles + which for me that's what my Tiger is about as much use as a hole in the head way too many vibes with a lean motor.

That's not to poo poo Tune ECU because even with the brief insight I've had I/we could see there was a coil the worse for wear and it gives you major view of what the motor is doing.

So the bottom line there's only one solution and that's pay and find out,as I was telling Bixxer on Saturday I'd been after another exhaust for one of my other bikes for 6 months on ebay finally got one all fitted up went out and rode it and it was absolutely crap  :icon_sad: :icon_redface: :icon_sad: but you have to try.