News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Downpipes Removal

Started by Timbox2, January 12, 2017, 11:12:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timbox2

This came about from wanting to do a couple of other jobs, a) Reverse flush the radiator, b)Remove and grease the lower shock mount(Which is easier with the downpipes out of the way).

I also had an idea that I would get the downpipes cleaned up while they were off.
Anyway, a couple of things to note. Triumph reckon you can get the downpipes off by just lowering/removing the oil cooler. I dont think so, and ok I was taking the rad off anyway but I couldnt see there being enough room without it being off. Also when i came to remove the pipes it was as though the studs were a bit long making it difficult to clear. Half my studs came out with the nuts as they were so badly corroded and when I checked the length they were in fact 3 to 4mm longer than the Triumph spec, I ordered a new stainless set from Stig Fasteners on ebay, who advertises them as Steamer Ex Studs, but theyre all the same, and his are the correct length which made refitting the exhaust a lot easier.

In the end I cleaned the pipes up as best I could myself with 3M scotchbrite pads and Autosol. The shock mount was a doddle and the radiator was in fact pretty clean.

No pictures Im afraid, you wanna look at exhaust studs??
2016 Tiger Sport

Sin_Tiger

Something to note, bit late now I know  :icon_rolleyes: , Triumph have superceded the studs, the new ones have a shoulder to stop you bottoming them in the head.

Not the actual stud but you'll get the idea.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Timbox2

2016 Tiger Sport

Bigfeesh

To polish the pipes without removing them try "harpic blue" toilet cleaner, amazing  :XXsunsmile just wash off wi running water and don the sunnies  :XXsunsmile the Tigger seems to be the easiest to clean up with this bog cleaner but MV and Laverda also come up nicely. I keep the cleaner moving with a stiff brush, it does not harm any other materials or paints but does react to cadmium plating a little.
Tiptop

Timbox2

Quote from: Bigfeesh on January 14, 2017, 02:53:38 PM
To polish the pipes without removing them try "harpic blue" toilet cleaner, amazing  :XXsunsmile just wash off wi running water and don the sunnies  :XXsunsmile the Tigger seems to be the easiest to clean up with this bog cleaner but MV and Laverda also come up nicely. I keep the cleaner moving with a stiff brush, it does not harm any other materials or paints but does react to cadmium plating a little.

I suppose Toilet Duck would be best for Kwackers :rfl
2016 Tiger Sport