News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

tiger 955 oil drain issues

Started by rcgomes, November 14, 2014, 12:27:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sin_Tiger

Well done repairing the drain plug  :thumbsup

With a crack in alloy, epoxy repairs will only slow the leak down as you can never completely remove the oil from the crack. Welding repair is possible but very difficult forthe same reasons.

Save your money my friend and send a letter to Santa Claus for an undamaged sump.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bixxer Bob

It seems counter=productive, but the crack needs to be drilled to stop it spreading. Just a small hole, 2.5 or 3mm at the very end of the crack. Make sure you definitely find the end of the crack first.  The idea is that the crack ends in the hole so it can't spread any further due to vibration etc.

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

blacktiger

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on December 03, 2014, 06:02:12 PM
It seems counter=productive, but the crack needs to be drilled to stop it spreading. Just a small hole, 2.5 or 3mm at the very end of the crack. Make sure you definitely find the end of the crack first.  The idea is that the crack ends in the hole so it can't spread any further due to vibration etc.

And let the oil piss out. Good work John.  :ImaPoser He needs to take it off and get it welded.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Bixxer Bob

Working on his previous comments I assumed he was going to try to repair the crack using epoxy, in which case the crack needs to be stopped first.  I thought that was so bleedin' obvious I didn't need to spell it out  :BangHead
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

rcgomes

hi i end up install a bleed valve like this one and i weld the crack with jb weld!! now only have oil coming out from the valve itself in the inside sphere. the oil crack the jbweld stop the leak

mine is this one

http://www.stahlbus.com/info/en/products/oil-drain-valves

another models have same issue also
but very little leak about only one drop shows in maby 2 weeks

for trip repairs etc is the best