News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

tiger 955i running hot

Started by jch, December 24, 2014, 05:04:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jch

Just bought a new to me 2004 tiger 955i with 2900 miles.

Background on bike:
Original owner had it from 2004 - 2010
Put 2800 miles on it changed the oil twice no other maintenance
Rode it frequently but for not many miles at a time

2nd owner bought in in 2010 - rode it 40 miles in the first two years
it has been kept in his heated warehouse for the last two years with out being ridden. Owner indicated that he kept it on a battery charger and started it about every three months. However the battery was shot when I bought it so I am not sure when it was last started. Gas was half full and owner indicated that it has stablizer added.I put a new battery in and after a bit of a stumble it fired up and ran great. I took it for a 5 mile test ride and bought it.

After bringing it home on a trailer, I took it out for it first real run.
Temperature about 45F. Put in 1/2 tank of fresh gas.

Bike ran great but temp went almost up to red zone before retreating to about 3/4 of the way up. It fluctuates from 1/2 to 3/4 up when riding. I know from my other tiger that these bikes run cool especially when it is cold out. I took out my 2002 under the same conditions and temp barely rose above the first hash mark.

I took the 2004 out a day later with the same results.

Fan kicks on and stays on for about 2 minutes after the bike is turned off. Coolant in overflow tank is a bit above the max mark. No puking of coolant.

My plan:
Change oil as it is at least 5 years old, ---don't think this has anything to do with hot running bike but not sure if old oil could cause issue.

Does the max in overflow tank indicate that radiator if full or could it be low and I just need to add coolant?

Other likely causes?
Can coolant get old and not work?
Bad thermostat?
Air in cooling system?

After I change the oil, I will probably pull the tank and check the coolant level and flush system.

Appreciate any thoughts or opinions on what is heating up my new tiger. Thx

motoOzarks

Don't get to excited until you verify gauge readings

check fluid level.

Antifreeze can be recycled an used again and again if kept filtered clean.
not lose ability to keep engine cool. but will sludge etc. causing problems with clogged passages in radiator, water pumps, thermostat.

If it got hot you would hear it popping and boiling etc.
Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS
Have:  Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DRZ400s, Triumph Tiger 955i

iansoady

It's worth checking that the 2 hoses going to the overflow tank are connected the right way round - your bike is the right age to have them wrong. This results in coolant expanding into the tank but not returning. My 2005 was like that and had very similar symptoms.

Also check the elbow on the tank as these can break causing a similar problem.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

HockleyBoy

Radiator cap is also a known problem.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

jch

Quote from: iansoady on December 24, 2014, 12:09:00 PM
It's worth checking that the 2 hoses going to the overflow tank are connected the right way round - your bike is the right age to have them wrong. This results in coolant expanding into the tank but not returning. My 2005 was like that and had very similar symptoms.

Also check the elbow on the tank as these can break causing a similar problem.

Thanks for the replies.

I checked and think my lines are wrong.  The one from the top of the expansion tank is going to the tube that exits at the swingarm.  The one that is lower (on the side) is going into the radiator.  Please confirm that the top one has the tube that goes to the bottom of the tank.

jch

iansoady: I just found your trick from the other triumph forum:

Quote:"That's exactly what mine was doing. After taking it all to bits I've discovered an easy way to check whether the pipes are reversed. Find the overflow pipe (which should exit near the RHS frame tube) and blow gently into it. There should be no bubbling in the overflow reservoir. If there is, they're the wrong way round."

I get bubbles so my lines are crossed!

My bike also falls within this vin range:

Quote:There was a recall for some Tigers as follows:

Recall service bulletin 331:
VIN Range 124104 - 198754
Fault Code: 02103598
Repair Code: 99331
Details: Check orientation of coolant overflow hoses. Check for extension hose inside overflow reservoir.

Disconnect the hose located on the side of the resevoir. Introduce a gentle flow of low pressure air (blow in it). It should vent to the atmosphere. If it doesn't, swap the hoses - check that the other one vents first. Also, check that there is an extension hose inside the resevoir attached to the fitting on the top of the resevoir."

So if I correct the lines will it fix everything (will coolant flow back into radiator)or do I have to take off the tank and fill up the radiator.  I guess I could also bring it in for the recall and have the dealership do it.  Not sure if topping off the radiator coolant is part of the service?

Bixxer Bob

Whether you do it, or the dealer does it, I'd start from a clean slate;  change the oil, oil filter,  plugs, air filter and coolant.  You already did the battery.  At the current mileage, it's unlikely the shims will need looking at.   Once the basics are done, you can start the service history from that point and you'll know where you are.  If you just do bits here and bits there, you'll be forever working on it....
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

jch

Update:

I uncrossed the lines and started her up.  After getting the temp up, shut it down and after a couple of minutes the coolant started flowing out of the expansion tank to the radiator.  Filled up the expansion tank again and repeated.  More coolant into the radiator.  Took the bike out of the ride and stayed cool at all times.  I will still top off the coolant when I take off the tank but problem looks to be solved.  Thanks for the help.

Now I just need to decide if I am going to keep my 02 with 33k miles or my 04 with 3K miles.  I don't need 2 tigers in addition to my KLR but I love my tiger so much I may just keep the extra one to have when the first one wears out!

Chris Canning

Quote from: jch on December 27, 2014, 01:14:15 AM
Update:

Now I just need to decide if I am going to keep my 02 with 33k miles or my 04 with 3K miles.  I don't need 2 tigers in addition to my KLR but I love my tiger so much I may just keep the extra one to have when the first one wears out!

Funny you saying that I'm a great believer in having a plan B before it happens at the moment the front runner is the new Multistrada because while it looks like the old one it's nothing like but have also thought about a second tiger because of the size of the tank still curse about a bike that Timbox on here a couple of years ago sent me link to with a near identical spec to mine and I didn't buy it which would have made the perfect spare  :icon_evil: