News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Lighting problem or normal?

Started by t4tiger, December 26, 2014, 05:39:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

t4tiger

Hi,

I decided to wire in some spotlights to increase seeing and being seen.  I bought a set that have three settings that are cycled by switching on and off quickly.  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390958700388?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT#ht_5857wt_1115  Not because i particularly wanted this function but because thay were cheap and the write ups were good. First mistake! First on =full power, second on = dimmed, third on = flashing.  Having researched thoroughly I decided to use a relay and splice into the side light wire so that they have a permanant power supply and will remain at full power.  Worked great, impressive output... or so I thought.  What I have found is that turning the headlights on  makes the side lights go out momentarily and switching between low and high beam also has this effect.  This means that the spots keep cycling and if I was to ride at night and switch from low to high I would soon lose track of the spotlight output.  So, I decided to wire them to the rear light on the assumption that this would be permanantly on.  Not so.  Same thing happens and switching the headlights on and switching from low to high to low etc causes  that momentary on/off.  As I have had the bike from new i assume it has always done this but I have just not noticed. 

As I see it I now have a number of options - 1. Get different lights; 2. wire direct to battery with a switch.  3. fix the issue, if it is an issue??

Don't really want to fork out for new lights and don't want to risk leaving lights on and draning battery so option 3 is looking good. 

I would really appreciate any input.  Are there any options I have missed?  Is this an issue or normal for the Tiger?  If an issue, what do I do about it?    I am very new to electrics...

Bixxer Bob

Put a large capacitor in the relay circuit.  It will charge (like a very short-lived battery) from the 12v when on and during the momentary off will discharge thus holding the relay in until the volts come back up.

I can't recommend the rating until I do some digging though.  And be careful with capacitors that have +ve and -ve marked on them, they can burst if connected up with the polarity reversed.

EDIT: Ok, having read a little, you should be good with a 20 microfarad electrolytic capacitor.  Connect the +ve to the 12v just before the relay, and the -ve to ground.  If it doesn't work, you probably need more capacitance.  You might want to hang around till someone with an electronics background rather than a "Let's see if this works" type like myself though.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

GavD

I have an auxiliary circuit that is fed direct from the battery via a relay. The relay is energised by a switched 12v that comes live when the ignition is switched on. The switched 12v I used is the one that goes to the alarm control unit in the rear of the seat. I used this cos I dont have an alarm fitted.

This circuit is fused and used to feed the heated grips, 12v socket in the dash and LED aux running lights. Has worked well for years now. Relay was a maplins 12v single pole job.  If ya need any more info please ask.

As far as your problem is concerned, I'm not sure it's a real problem. it's more than likely that as you flip from high to low that the sidelights may be temporarily interrupted causing what you've described, but I've not got my manual to hand to look at the wiring diagram.
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

Bixxer Bob

I think what's happening Gav is the LED circuitry is very sensitive to voltage fluctuations. He's already using a relay which I would have thought would iron out any dips but clearly not. 

T4 - I'm assuming you are using a clean, fused 12v supply from the battery and switching it with the relay triggered by the light circuit? And the dip in the lighting circuit is releasing the relay?  (you'll hear it clicking if that's the case).  If that's right, the capacitor trick should sort it.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

GavD

I really should read things properly before I post!!

t4tiger

Hi guys. Bob, yes, New and clean equipment and connections. And yes to hearing relay. Sooo, can you tell me more about capacitors or signpost me.  I have googled but still can't really work out the exact  what where and how.  And would this be a robust solution to a motorbike application?

Guy, this sounds promising.  Is the power to that plug switched and if so which wire is it?

Really appreciate all the help.

t4tiger

Bob, just seen your edit.  So, one pin of the capacitors is connected to wire from side light feed just before relay? How is this best done? The other capacitors pin is unearthed?

GavD

Quote from: t4tiger on December 27, 2014, 12:33:11 AM

Guy, this sounds promising.  Is the power to that plug switched and if so which wire is it?

It's one of the red wires(there are 2), one is switched, the other is permanent live.

t4tiger

Thanks Gav.  Identified the switched wire and installed.  Success at last. 

Thanks Ram, looks like pretty serious kit.  Can't even pronounce some of it :icon_biggrin:  I think I'll give this a miss for now.  Although, is this the sort of thing you might use if HIDS are fitted and you don't want them to be coming on until the engine is running??

Bixxer Bob

Glad it's sorted. 

HIDS use less power than ordinary bulbs so coming on before the engine fires is no problem and, anyway, there is a relay which turns the lights off while the engine is cranking (or is that just the Girlies without a lightswitch??)  The real problem with HIDs lighting when the ign is turned on and going out while the engine cranks, is that - because they are now hot - they don't always strike up a second time until they cool down which means turning them off, wait, then turn them back on.

High intensity LED bulbs will solve both problems of course.

Bixxer Bob

John Stenhouse

Ah the ideal accessory for steamer riders!
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Nick Calne

Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Marc

Tiger Explorer Graphite 2013
Bonneville SE 2010 (missus)
previous bikes:
   Tiger 955i Orange  2003
   BMW K1  1989
   Ducati 750S '72
   Matchless G80 '57
   Matchless G3L '39