News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Adjustable Air Suspension?

Started by Nick Calne, January 02, 2015, 12:49:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Calne

Is it possible to get an adjustable rear air suspension unit as an aftermarket thing? Riding the steamer on my own the stock suspension is fine. Fling the delicate, svelte frame of Mrs NC on the back and it is becomes a very different shape of bike and very low at the back.

It has crossed my mind to just hide the cake tin and the sherry bottle for a couple of months as a cheap solution but something adjustable which enables the geometry of the bike to be maintained would be useful / less frightening. I think BMW have this on some bikes possibly? Any thoughts?

Seems a bit crackers that my mountain bike has air suspension allowing me to effectively change the spring rate in 10 secs but my motorbike doesn't!
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

nickjtc

Quote from: nickcalne on January 02, 2015, 12:49:53 AM
Fling the delicate, svelte frame of Mrs NC on the back and it is becomes a very different shape of bike and very low at the back. It has crossed my mind to just hide the cake tin and the sherry bottle for a couple of months as a cheap solution

Wow, you are a brave fellow putting those words into print, sir!  :ImaPoser
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Bixxer Bob

She obviously doesn't read Tiger Triple  :ImaPoser
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Nick Calne

Ha yeah, won't catch me being cheeky to her in person!

motoOzarks

Sounds like she's the one with cheeks

http://www.arnottairsuspension.com/

There are a few for single shock
Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS
Have:  Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DRZ400s, Triumph Tiger 955i

Chris Canning

Well I can't fault the logic because I also have them on my Lapierre but then it's only has me peddling as opposed to a lot more weight and HP  but if you insist instead of a normal after market shock the company you need to look for is WDS they are based in Belgium and build just what you want I had my first encounter with such this year when I saw them on a SuperMoto race bike but the price will make a £1000 motorcycle jacket seem like a drop in the ocean.

nickjtc

At risk of being a....whatever...... is it worth spending what sounds like it will be LOTS of dosh on upgrades (of any description) on our older machines. I suppose if the machine is an 'end bike' and will never leave the stable it can be rationalised, but.......

Chris Canning

Spending money is almost secondary because as with a lot of old bikes so many aftermarket parts just ain't available anymore and most importantly when you do buy parts it's almost a rental basis I'd like to see someone turn up with an aftermarket shock for a Tiger last one I saw was Timbox and that was years ago so there's never any problem selling good parts.

Chris Canning

There you go get your cheque book out  :icon_wink:

nickjtc

Bear in mind there is always the re-build option:

Thank you for your inquiry.  I can do a full rebuild on your shock for $75 + parts and shipping.  Seals and bushings will be around $25 fyi.  This is part of my fall special good through the end of the year.

I will fully rebuild your shock with all new seals, bushings and top it off with fully synthetic shock oil and a fresh nitrogen charge.  It will bring it back to as new condition.  If you choose to have me do it, I am running at less than a week turn around time right now.  I am attaching a shipping form with instructions on how to get it to me.

This was up to the end of 2014. May be more costly now.....

Nick Calne

That does look expensive Chris! I'll try Arnott first I think!

Chris Canning

In your situation I would bother with either you have a seal failure with either and it'll be terminal for both the shock and you I had my Ohlins go belly up a while in Spain and just rode the bike on the spring alone,I've never gone into any great detail of getting my Ohlins how I wanted but when it's right the way it transforms the bike is a Eureka moment.

Riding two up is a sure fire way of finding out that Triumph couldn't make a shock so long as they have a corporate hole in their arse so rebuilding a stocker is a bit like trying to polish a turd in my book best option for your steamer I'd talk to Hagon give them your combined weight and they'll build you one accordingly and I'd also trawl German ebay because Germany has always been Triumphs biggest market and maybe a secondhand one will turn up.

I'd been after a certain make of seat for my K BM put a link on ebay so it notified me by email and sure enough one turned up in the end just took a few months do the same with a shock.