News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Gear knocks only when hot..

Started by rrraiderrr, January 19, 2015, 07:08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrraiderrr

Gentlemen,

When the bike is cold and the first time i put in first gear it goes smooth, no knock, no sound and no tension on the chain..
When the bike getting hot (normal heat) the first gear and sometime the second getting in pretty smooth however a bit loud and knocks on the chain..
Is it normal.. or should i open my clutch for inspection, got only 13k on the bike.
(2006 955i)
Thx

Roman

Dutch

Sorry for a late reply. Could it be that for some reason or another the clutch doesn't disengage totally when the bike is at operating temperature?

Sin_Tiger

Is your oil level OK and has if be changed recently?
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

metalguru

Lubricate clutch cable with Teflon based lube.
Adjust to factory settings and try from there.

They tend to get a bit tight by the bend on top of the engine case, a cable lubricator are very cheap and a good investment, so then the cable can be 'washed' internally and lubed with any Teflon lube. Bicycle chain lube is good as its thin but make sure it is Teflon based.
Remove and clean the clutch lever pivots, re-assemble with a good waterproof grease.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

threepot

Think that applies to most bikes? Mine always engages smoothly when cold,but gets a bit 'clunky' when hot. Do as Sin suggested. A well lubed and adjusted chain makes a difference.
95 Super111
96 Tiger

iansoady

Mine always did that but I never quite understood why. If you raise the clutch for a few seconds before selecting 1st it's less obvious. Cf Meriden Triumphs where there's a horrendous clonk going into 1st if the clutch plates aren't separated using the kickstart when cold, but silent engagement when warm......
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

rrraiderrr

Hello Gentlemen,

I thought that if the clutch doesn't disengage totally when the bike is at operating temperature i'd have issues changing all gears not only 1'st or second, am i right?

Sin_Tiger, i did my oil change recently and used 10/40W Castrol semi-synthetic, could it be the oil? i guess it could but i'll have to change the oil soon and was thinking on 10/50W semi-Synthetic Mobil 1 or Castrol. Any other good oils are suggested?
The clutch lever movement  is pretty smooth and easy, i'll lube it anyway just for the safe side.
Lubed and adjusted the drive chain, also release the tension a bit to be more free by another 5-10mm, but no significant change.

Still when the bike is cold the 1'st gear is smooth and no tension on the chain when shifted, but after 1 min or first traffic light trying to shift to 1'st gear i feel the knock on the chain and hear it as well.
I know many Triumph experiencing same symptoms but i still think this is something that could be solved.
Thank you for the inputs.

Roman