News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Water Pump Leak?

Started by sailorcolin, January 19, 2015, 07:47:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sailorcolin

So I decided I wanted to ride my Tiger for the first warm day here in SC this year. I started it and noticed a small leak coming from the water pump area. I thought it may of been some pooled weeping from the winter storage draining off. Well it didn't stop. I believe it is the same problem that is noted here:http://www.triumphrat.net/tiger-workshop-archive/169444-1050-coolant-leak-from-the-weirdest-place.html I have to wait till I get home to confirm that this is where the water is coming from but has anyone had the same problem and is there a solution besides buying an entire new water pump as noted?

Mustang

check for loosened hose clamp fittings before you get too exited  :icon_lol:

sailorcolin

I did a quick check, but I was on lunch break so when I get home I will do a more through check.

sailorcolin

Diffidently coming from that weep whole. What are some cross part numbers for the tiger water pump. Will the 955 pump fit?

Bixxer Bob

You seem to know something I don't Colin,  is the 1050 engine using the same pump / case as your 2000 Tiger? 

Assuming yes, I'd hold back on replacing the pump unless it's noisy, it's probably just the shaft seal leaking which is a lot cheaper to fix.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

sailorcolin

I dont believe it is, I just found a 1050 that was having the same issue. Also I dont believe the inner seal is a serviceable part. Am I wrong?

sailorcolin

According to my "Haynes" repair manual: "However, neither seal is available as a separate item, as the pump is sold as an assembly."

Mustang

if the water pump can come apart ...............you don't have to buy a seal from triumph
any good bearing supply will have seals

Bixxer Bob

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Sin_Tiger

:iagree I just hope they haven't pulled off the non standard dimensions trick  :icon_rolleyes: still there are ways around that and please be sure the shaft is not damaged at the contact point.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bixxer Bob

That's another thing I don't understand.....  the special dimensions trick.  It's probably more about overcoming design issues than ensuring we only buy (massively overpriced) parts from them, but the rake back in parts can't possibly cover the outlay to tool for a special size in the first place can it???

sailorcolin

Well I ordered a used water pump from eBay from a trophy. Been told that they are identical pieces and it was only $20 shipped.

Mustang

Quote from: sailorcolin on January 28, 2015, 10:36:35 PM
Well I ordered a used water pump from eBay from a trophy. Been told that they are identical pieces and it was only $20 shipped.
you are going to be disappointed .................they aint the same

885I pump

trophy water pump

sailorcolin

The one I ordered actually is the same.

This is the new pump:

Mustang

thats good for you
would've sucked though if you really wanted a trophy pump though  ,