News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

What now??

Started by t4tiger, February 08, 2015, 05:35:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ned37

QuoteAnd I need one of those 90 degree screwdrivers to alter mixture. Any alternative to expensive carbtune model?
the one offered by motion pro works on the 2 right hand carbs, but hits the top of the alternator and won't work on the far left #1.  i use a very short cutoff common with a piece of semi-rigid tubing over it for the left.
95 blue steamer
04 husaberg fe650e

Sin_Tiger

I initially bought the £15 bendy spring one but the drive broke away during the second use, I suspect that was a one off as plenty of people use them without issue.

Personally I wasn't so happy with the squidgy feel I got so decided on the gear drive item from carbtune as a replacement.  Much happier with the feel and have been able to  use it on other jobs due to the interchangeable tips.

Three times the price at £45 but it's quality and will probably see me off.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

t4tiger

Hi, carbtune tool on order. Still can't solve slight backfire and the revs dropping slightly slowly when I decelerate. But does pull well and feels to be running well at higher revs :icon_lol:  I have sprayed the carbs with carb cleaner whilst revving bike and can't detect any vacuum leak. I have replaced airbox breather tube and bunged it. 

Anything else I can try? Many thanks

Sin_Tiger

It's mentioned frequently here but in case you've missed it.

1 make sure the airbox assembly is complete and in good condition, no holes or broken bits,  including all the bits upstream of the filter I.e. All the way back under the seat.

2 the second intake, usually the right side, should have a rubber cap on it, if it's missing just cover it and secure it with a cable tie.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: t4tiger on February 28, 2015, 08:33:03 AM
.... and the revs dropping slightly slowly when I decelerate.....

Not played with carbs for a long while, but does that not suggest a sticking throttle slide or cable or damping issue, or a slight air leak between the carb and the cylinder head ie air getting in beyond the butterflies? 
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

JayDub

Did you balance the carbs? If not, it may be a good idea  :nod
"When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened, or not."

Sin_Tiger

BB has a point there. If you have had the carbs apart, an easy mistake is to drop the small O ring in the carb top when putting it back on, one of the easier things to check.

GavD

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on February 28, 2015, 01:43:45 PM
BB has a point there. If you have had the carbs apart, an easy mistake is to drop the small O ring in the carb top when putting it back on, one of the easier things to check.

Sin,

He's got Keihins hasn't he?

If so there's no small oring in the top of keihins. I found it a bit fiddley sometimes with the keihins to get the rubber vacuum gasket on the top of the slide to seat properly on top of the carb, and keep it in place when screwing the carb top back on.

T4Tiger - have a close look at the carb tops to make sure they are seated down properly, if not you may have air getting in there.

Number 6 which has to sit in the groove of the metal carb body, then number 1 screws down and seals it.
http://www.worldoftriumph.com/triumph_motorcycle_parts_locator.php?block_01=&block_02=100058916-1-2&block_03=23773
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

Mustang

also with the keihins , be very careful and delicate with that diaphram rubber as it can stretch and enlarge and  you will never ever get it to go back in the groove to seal  :BangHead

slow return to idle ........................try screwing the mixture screws back in a tad . 1 1/2 to 2 turns out

Sin_Tiger

nickjtc

Don't we just LOVE faffing around with our trusty steeds!  :augie
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

JayDub

Quote from: nickjtc on February 28, 2015, 05:40:24 PM
Don't we just LOVE faffing around with our trusty steeds!  :augie
Trusty???  :icon_scratch:

nickjtc

Quote from: JayDub on February 28, 2015, 07:02:35 PM
Trusty???  :icon_scratch:

I trust that it will do the business as long as I do not b#gger it up!  :ImaPoser
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

JayDub

Quote from: nickjtc on February 28, 2015, 07:30:41 PM

I trust that it will do the business as long as I do not b#gger it up!  :ImaPoser

I heard of a tiger doing 200,000 km on a 3 year round the world trip... without a breakdown!... so I still have faith   :icon_wink: (and breakdown cover)

threepot

Quote from: JayDub on February 28, 2015, 08:31:25 PM
I heard of a tiger doing 200,000 km on a 3 year round the world trip... without a breakdown!... so I still have faith   :icon_wink: (and breakdown cover)
Try posting this on www.adventurebikerider.com and see what comments you may get? Gs obsession springs to mind!
Even though my steamer has done about 55k miles,and is now 17yrs young,I honestly believe it could handle a trip like that?  :icon_wink:
95 Super111
96 Tiger