News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

parking light?

Started by motoOzarks, February 10, 2015, 10:51:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

motoOzarks

My 06 has a position on the key switch just past the steering lock where the headlights come on.
They are very dim and completely useless at that output and I have yet to understand the purpose.
I have mistakenly parked my bike a handful of times in this position and killed my battery.
Not a big deal when it happens in the backyard.
Someday I might not be so lucky.
Does anybody know a way to defeat this?  Which wire could be snipped or unplugged to eliminate this?
Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS
Have:  Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DRZ400s, Triumph Tiger 955i

iansoady

They're not headlights, they are as described parking lights (sometimes called side- or pilot-lamps). They're the little bulbs in the headlight housing.

They're supposed to be used if you park your bike at night but IMO are redundant. They're not even required for UK MoT any more.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

motoOzarks

Well allbejigger

I can see em now, thanks ian

I'll bust those out when I get the chance
Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: motoOzarks on February 11, 2015, 11:31:42 PM
Well allbejigger

I can see em now, thanks ian

I'll bust those out when I get the chance

If you take a walk around the back I think you'll find the tail light illuminates as well.  "Bustin' that out" is gonna be a bit more problematic.  If I remember I'll look up which wire comes from the lock to run the lights in park position and let you know.  Manual is in the garage and I'm not.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Sin_Tiger

If you just don't turn the key all the way, i. e. One click short,  it will still lock the steering but not switch the lights on.

Regulation 249 is still current in the UK.https://www.gov.uk/waiting-and-parking/parking-at-night-248-to-252
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

motoOzarks

And the win goes to Sin

Yeah but when you miss the lock slot and go to far.....

My ignition is very loose in its cradle, meaning it moves around alot, so it needs some attention at some time.

I'm wondering about lengthening those leads and putting them in a tank bag or dash area for a key controlled handy light.

Extra aggravating because the light is so dim it's useless, at first I thought it might be part of an alarm system.

The rear light also comes on.  I don't know if is a separate bulb yet or not.