News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tickover Too High

Started by tim.norris, February 15, 2015, 12:21:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tim.norris

First chance i`ve had to give the bike a proper run out since i got it a couple of weeks ago (been laid up with a bad back !). love the bike just one problem the tickover is too high about 1700 rpm , ive noticed that if i turn it off then re start ,it ticks over at 1300rpm but once underway again it goes high . will connect tune ecu and see if there are any faults . could i try a tps reset without uploading a new map ?
the bike has been stood for a while before i got it and i know the battery was also flat . will remove the tank later this week and check the vacuum hoses ,(might replace anyway , what size do i need ? ) plus filter and plugs (are irridium types recommended or should i stick with standard ?) . any advice greatly appreciated.
tim.

iansoady

The tickover's controlled by the stepper motor / IACV so would suspect either this is sticking or an air leak.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Bixxer Bob

IACV hose stubs are 6mm but 5mm id silicon gives a tighter fit.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

My advice I'd read everything you can on here and then draw up a plan it's could be steeper it could be pipes.

My stepper fell to bits as soon as I took it off can't remember what I paid now about £90 I think and then you have the pipes I went with orginals their actually plastic and ribbed te boot and with the heat build up getting it right took priority over saving a few quid I get through a few bob on bikes but even I winced at the price  :icon_wink:

Even after all the pissing about from my end and Bixxer doing his bit I ended up taking the bar off that holds the grub screw so you can ajust the tickover manually considering the Tiger is errrrrr a little dated tinkering with it to get it right most certainly isn't.

So if you it can't handle a lap top then you need to find a.n.other who can or be lucky with a dealer and I say lucky because a lot of the dealers have mechanics who are not familiar with such an old bike.

Mine seemed fine when I tucked it away for the winter all will be revealed fairly shortly when I take it out of mothballs it may well end up having to do yet another trip to the SoF the end of the year for umpteenth time.

tim.norris

Thanks for the replies , will order some vacuum pipe then whip the tank off , and take it from there , will keep you informed , regards, tim.

metalguru

Try the TPS reset first, if battery voltage has fallen below at least 8volts it can give symptoms very similar.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

tim.norris

metalguru,
will try a tps reset this weekend , will keep you updated, regards, tim.

NKL

Could be something as simple as throttle cable sticking.
I\'m immortal..........well so far!!!
-----------------------------------
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100

tim.norris

Finally got round to connecting tune ecu to the bike , the TPS gauge was showing 4 when the throttle was closed , this was constant every time i tried the throttle , performed a tps reteach now showing zero , tried the bike this morning now ticks over at 1100/1200 revs when warm ,though its a bit uneven , i have some morgan carbtune gauges so will balance the throttle when i get round to it ! the only thing ive noticed is that from cold on initial start up it revs at 2500 which seems way too high  till the engine warms up , is this normal ? should i have reset the tps when the engine was warm ?
regards, tim.

Bixxer Bob

TuenECU shouldn't let you do the reset until the right temp is reached.  you say 2500, is that for a few minutes or just a few seconds?

The ECU fires up the engine and holds the revs high so it doesn't stall while it has a think about the various sensor inputs then decides what the optimum revs should be then drops them to that setting but that only takes a few seconds. The fuel map has a warm-up table that's equivalent to a choke. 
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

tim.norris

Bob, it revs high from cold for about ten seconds then gradually drops as it warms up , have replaced the inlet manifold gasket and vacuum pipes plus the rubber grommett in the air filter for the ecu vacuum (which was very worn ) replaced plugs and filter and the iacv top sponge type gasket. balanced the throttle bodies with my carbtune gauges , also swopped the fuel filter (obtained from Opie oils on the web) .reset tps when warm as you suggested , now running much smoother and idles at the correct speed . just need to get out and ride it now . regards, tim

Bixxer Bob

Mine fires up to 2500 ish for three or four seconds then drops to high idle, 15-1800, then gradually lowers as temp increases. It is unwise to touch the throttle until it's settled down ie ten seconds or so.

I'd ride it and see how it goes. Mine has a way of sorting itself out as I'm sure they are all meant to do.