News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Did the valves and now no go.

Started by cba191, February 15, 2015, 09:25:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cba191

It turns over, all the electrical seems to work, but it sounds like I'm getting no spark. I hate maintenance. Where should I look at this point?
'02 Tiger.  She's the awesome sauce

Mustang

fuel lines hooked up right ? wrong?
are you sure theres no spark?
no tight valves , I will assume no , since you just did them.

Its usually something you did reassembling .  unplugged a harness etc etc
start back tracking your steps

Bixxer Bob

Mustang's right, re-check everything you did first.  Coil connectors in the right order that sort of thing, although if it sounds like it's not getting a spark it could just as easily be not getting fuel.

To check, listen for the fuel pump power up when you first turn the ign on after it's been standing a while.  If it whines then stops you're getting something.  Next, after winding the pump up, turn ign off and disconnect the fuel line.   If you get a little spurt it indicates fuel pressure.

Check the voltage at your battery it's possible to have enough juice to turn the engine but not fire the injectors.  Charge as necessary, in fact, charge it anyway as you've been churning it over trying to start it.

You shouldn't have needed to unplug the crank sensor, but did you?  That would stop it also.

A few more ideas about what you did to check the valves might help us work out why it's not going.  All we can do at this stage is list the things that will definitely stop it. 
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

cba191

Didn't do anything with the crank sensor.  The fuel pump is good.  Everything is connected properly.  Coil connectors are all loomed so they can't be put in the wrong order.  Maintenance is unbelievably frustrating.  I'm going to go through and clean up the contacts now.

motoOzarks

You don't have the kickstand down or other safety switch issue?
Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS
Have:  Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DRZ400s, Triumph Tiger 955i

cba191

cba191

Tested the battery. Double checked the connections. Fuel pump is good. I have no idea what to try now.  All three coils wouldn't go bad at once, I don't think.  The only thing changed was the spark plugs.  I was so excited to go out for a ride.

KuzzinKenny

Hey cba191 !! what about the clutch switch ??

and recheck yer kill switch  :icon_redface: don't ask !!

good luck

KK

In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

cba191

The kill switch was one of the first things I checked.  And the clutch switch is good as well.  I'm starting to think I may have to get it to the dealership and have them look at it.  I hate that.

Bixxer Bob

Check the fuses.  Six and Seven feed volts to injectors AND coils and ECU.  The ECU triggers the injectors and the coils by GROUNDING the live connection to them.  If either fuse is dirty or blown, it's over.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

cba191

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on February 16, 2015, 09:47:48 PM
Check the fuses.  Six and Seven feed volts to injectors AND coils and ECU.  The ECU triggers the injectors and the coils by GROUNDING the live connection to them.  If either fuse is dirty or blown, it's over.

That sounds promising. I'll check it tonight.

cba191

Unfortunately, the fuses are all good. Going to pull it apart again this weekend to check the gaps.

Mustang

good move
because a tight valve on a intake with zero clearance will make it no start

iansoady

Wouldn't it still start on one of the other two?
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Mustang

in theory , it should ...................have seen way too many that won't.
I'm still betting something simple stupid happened after the valve check during reassembly