News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Hertfordshire Triumph. " Sorry, we don't stock the oil filter for your Tiger"

Started by London_Phil, March 02, 2015, 04:17:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

London_Phil

I really try not to be dissapointed by main dealer support for older kit.
All I wanted was a standerd service item, an oil filter. Think it fits all the Carb bikes, so not a tall order, methinks.

No one serving at the desk that had spares on...Its OK, I'm a Brit, and I wait patiently with hope in my heart.....
The Guy sitting at the desk next to the one I was waiting at for someone to appear, ignored me, then when someone finally appeared, he said I needed to move to the desk where the guy who ignored me was sitting.

Mr Ignoriant then asked me to wait whilst he shuffled some paperwork, then when I asked if he had a standard oil filter for my Tigger, he went tippy tap, tippy tap, computer says no........Can I order it In.
Really, an OIL FILTER for F**ks sake.
I should have known better, as I thought they might have an alternator O-ring last year......LOL, they had lots of Branded TAT mind you...

Well Done Hertfordshire Triumph...

Sorry,, Feel better now...

nickjtc

Quote from: London_Phil on March 02, 2015, 04:17:58 PM
Sorry,, Feel better now...

No need to apologise. I suspect we've all been through this. (My local dealer does stock oil filters, but usually the parts fellow pulls out the one for the newer bikes when I go to get one, so I have to remind him that there was life before Roadies and 800XCs.)

However the attitude that they are doing us, the customer, a favour by being there is rampant. Very sad, because they are the first to complain about us, the customer, buying our stuff online.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Sin_Tiger

I was in the workshop of Cumbria Triumph the other day, old school clean and tidy by the way, and spotted the electrics test rig for the T400 series hanging on the special tools board. I was mightily impressed.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

threepot

95 Super111
96 Tiger

nickjtc

Quote from: threepot on March 02, 2015, 10:29:25 PM
I buy filters from m&p. Got a Kawasaki dealer close to you?

Are you incinerating that Kawasaki filters will fit our Triumphs???  :qgaraduate :qgaraduate

Chris Canning

When I have needed spares and had to go to a Triumph dealer I've never known them having anything in stock apart from when Windy Corner were in business as for filters Hiflo buy e'm on line.

threepot

95 Super111
96 Tiger

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: nickjtc on March 02, 2015, 10:46:56 PM
Are you incinerating that Kawasaki filters will fit our Triumphs???  :qgaraduate :qgaraduate

NO  :nono Triumph filters will fit Kwakers though  :hat10
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

John Stenhouse

What I thought was impressive for my local dealer was they were out performed by the local yamaha dealer.

Performance Triumph in Cheltenham can get me a throttle cable in two days, ok seems reasonable, except the local Yamaha dealer, Peter Hammond M/Cs can get me one the next morning!

Why do we bother.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

nickjtc

London_Phil

Quote from: Chris Canning on March 02, 2015, 11:10:40 PM
When I have needed spares and had to go to a Triumph dealer I've never known them having anything in stock apart from when Windy Corner were in business as for filters Hiflo buy e'm on line.

Interestingly, whilst waiting patiently (and seething inside),  I did spot the HiFlo catalogue on the spares persons desk.
Maybe even Triumph dealers are using HiFlo??
Quick Google suggests they are cheaper, and in plentifull supply, and Unless I hear any horror stories about how someone used a non Triumph Oil Filter and the very next day the Dog was repossesed by the ex wifes Repo Company, thus proving that using a non oem filter is a bad idea, thats the way to go....

Bixxer Bob

It seems the way of (Triumph, at least) main dealers.  I went into my local one for oil (Triumph now recommend Castrol, no longer Mobil One) and their price was competitive when you take in the cost of diesel to get it anywhere else.  However, they wanted seven quid more than the Triumph on line price.  When I queried it they immediately gave me the on-line price; but if I hadn't gone pre-armed.......

To try to see their side, most folks that do their own servicing shop on line, in a cutthroat market they have be as lean as possible so don't want to tie up funds in slow moving stock and it's not like a service suddenly happens, it can be planned.  I have, in the past, rung to check if an item is in stock, ordered and paid for it over the phone and they've posted it to me.  about the same as shopping on line then....

There are two different issues here though, the stock, and the attitude.  The only way to improve poor service/attitude is to write to Triumph.  If they don't know they can't act.  And once they know we can then judge by the response.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Sin_Tiger

I wouldn't be surprised to find similar in most of the smaller dealers, recent experience buying Honda parts was even worse, everything comes through a central site in Belgium and even they don't stock some more common items, they the back order from Japan who then order from their satellite factories (Spain is one example) or sub suppliers.

Bixxer Bob

Aye, last time I went to Honda for Blackbird service items, I asked for spark plugs and the young lady just looked at me as if she'd never come across anyone who wanted to work on their own bike before.  "I only book services" was all she could say.  Thing is, they used to good before moving in with the Honda car main dealer.  Car dealer approach seemed to have rubbed off on them....   
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

Triumph major failing here in the Midlands has been the dealer network I have lost track of how many there have been and then closed the irony!! Triumph pulled the plug on Winder Corner one of THE great survivors because they wouldn't go smoke and mirrors and gave it to Stratstone in Leicester and guess what's happened to them!!!

As for Hiflo used them on the Tiger/1100s and my XT for years.