News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Hertfordshire Triumph. " Sorry, we don't stock the oil filter for your Tiger"

Started by London_Phil, March 02, 2015, 04:17:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

threepot

Think I've only used a genuine filter once . Used Hiflo several times with no problems. Kawasaki filters for the t3/t4 engines are cheaper than original..no surprise there though!
M&P have good deals ..oil and filter £25.
95 Super111
96 Tiger

London_Phil

I do appreciate I'm not really the target demographic, and I understand high stock levels are costly, but, I can't reconcile a bunch of overpriced Tee shirts, mugs and the like, a lack of a basic service item, and frankly appaling customer service. Its a damm shame is all..

Sin_Tiger

I think you just put your finger squarely on their target market and I don't think you and I figure near the front of the pack.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

JayDub

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on March 03, 2015, 08:47:03 PM
I think you just put your finger squarely on their target market and I don't think you and I figure near the front of the pack.
I think all the 'new' riders on the roads now are mostly the new merchandise targeted Sunday boys, warm weather and born again bikers, but its good to see the increase of two wheelers, and if nothing else it at least - hopefully - makes us more common place in car drivers minds and therefore increases their awareness....  I like to think so anyway  :blah

Chris Canning

Quote from: London_Phil on March 03, 2015, 08:36:15 PM
I do appreciate I'm not really the target demographic, and I understand high stock levels are costly, but, I can't reconcile a bunch of overpriced Tee shirts, mugs and the like, a lack of a basic service item, and frankly appaling customer service. Its a damm shame is all..

I've seen this happen on another board where the bike has become old hat still practical and usable but not profitable to anyone bar the owner to make the trade tick over it needs folks who part chop their 18 month old bike for a new one or have their bikes serviced at a dealer the financial input from the guys on this board is minimal to say the least I think the term is we will/have become marginalized.

An opportunity for more independents to start up doing early Triumphs.

Mustang

Quote from: threepot on March 03, 2015, 02:37:09 PM
Think I've only used a genuine filter once . Used Hiflo several times with no problems. Kawasaki filters for the t3/t4 engines are cheaper than original..no surprise there though!
M&P have good deals ..oil and filter £25.
fram ch6012 is the same filter ....
$4.11 from Amazon and they will even auto deliver every 4, 5, or 6months , you pick the interval .

nickjtc

Quote from: Mustang on March 04, 2015, 06:26:33 PM
fram ch6012 is the same filter

Since this thread has devolved into an oil filter discussion........... I read on the TriumphRat site (written by someone "who knew what he was talking about") that we were to avoid Fram filters like the plague because of their build quality. This person threatened all kinds of dire consequences for the motor if the filter spontaneously disintegrated....???
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

motoOzarks

I had a moble oil change business for a couple years and did my best to investigate oil and filters.
The oil industry is very closely guarded and good luck finding the differences in oils.  The filter industry is like all replacement parts and quality does vary greatly.  Fancy labels and paint schemes and brand names mean squat.  Loads of filters sold under different names.
There are forums dedicated to oil filters.  Guys taking them apart and comparing side by side.  The Fram filter brand is not robust in comparison to others. 
It's been long enough since I have studied it I won't give recommendations but I stayed away from Fram myself since then. 
Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS
Have:  Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DRZ400s, Triumph Tiger 955i

nickjtc

Quote from: motoOzarks on March 04, 2015, 10:05:45 PM
The Fram filter brand is not robust in comparison to others. It's been long enough since I have studied it I won't give recommendations but I stayed away from Fram myself since then.

I have to admit I have never used anything other than 'reputable' motorcycle brand oil filters on any of my bikes (but then again, what is 'reputable'???) but confess I have routinely used Fram filters on four wheeled vehicles.

NKL

Wouldn't be surprised if Hiflo make the filters for triumph, after all they don't make them themselves.
I\'m immortal..........well so far!!!
-----------------------------------
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100

Mustang

Quote from: NKL on March 08, 2015, 05:33:25 PM
Wouldn't be surprised if Hiflo make the filters for triumph, after all they don't make them themselves.
hi-flo makes K&N's oil filters ........................... :nod

threepot

Mustang,Hiflo refers to the speed the oil flows thru the filter? I've read that the only way to achieve this,is the size of 'holes' in the filtering component,thus allowing 'larger' particles thru? This is why I've always said,there is not enough info available for the consumer to choose what they use :icon_scratch:
95 Super111
96 Tiger

London_Phil

HiFlo is a brand name

http://www.hiflofiltro.com/

They may well have a Hi Flow as well....

I ordered some from a local Green K dealer, as cheaper and quicker.
HF401

Regards

Phil

threepot

95 Super111
96 Tiger

nickjtc