News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

03 intermitant problem, part 2

Started by Wilky, March 08, 2015, 02:36:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilky

What is the difference between o2 sensor  closed loop and open loop. In TuneEcu the icon is greyed out so am assuming it is a closed loop. Any help please.
Traveling around Australia on an unlimited time frame with my beautiful wife Diana on our 03 Tigger.

iansoady

I don't know about tuneecu.

Closed loop running is where the ECU monitors the O2 sensor and changes the air / fuel ratio to try to keep the O2 level at a specific value. This can cause some hunting as the mixture can be constantly changing. Open loop running ignores the O2 sensor.

The ECU only tries to apply closed loop when the target A/F ratio is in a specific range - around 14.5:1 by weight. So you can either change the map so it's never in that range (which I did with my '04 to eliminate surging) or more crudely by fitting an O2 sensor eliminator which tells the ECU that all is fine & dandy.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Wilky

Iansoady

When you say changed the map did you go above this point or below this point?
Traveling around Australia on an unlimited time frame with my beautiful wife Diana on our 03 Tigger.

iansoady

Made it richer ie lower numbers. I kept it below 14.0.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Bixxer Bob

12.5 to 13.5 is good,  anything below 12.5 is going to use noticeably more fuel.  12.0 makes good power but uses fuel and runs harsh.  Anything below 12 is too rich.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...