News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Lithium Batteries

Started by Chris Canning, March 15, 2015, 09:47:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Canning

Seeing Bixxers post on another thread about how his battery had dropped off a cliff like mine did some time back I decided 12 months to dip my toes so to speak into the Lithium battery pond fitted one on my SuperMoto so if it was no good at best I could push it.

Well here we are 12 months on as I see there are 4 parts of the jigaw puzzle how well do they work,how do they work in the cold and do they drop off a cliff like the gel/glass matt versions do, oh and how do you charge them.

Mine is 12 months old now not been put on charge all winter and it's good to go and has done.

I've read allsorts about how well they work in the cold(not) but also seen some interesting video on a bike with 6" of snow on it.

Do they drop off a cliff?? don't know

Charging?? my take on it you can't use a tender on one because if it throws a fit and goes into disulphate then it's kaput,I'm informed!!! that it's possible to use an old style battery charger!! is their still such a thing  :icon_scratch: and of course they charge very quickly or buy a Lithium battery tender.

What I forgot!! price they are dropping like a stone I bought mine last year trade and this year I can buy one a bigger version cheaper already off ebay from Italy.

Sin_Tiger

I've been looking at these portable units, anybody tried them?
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bixxer Bob

Lithium is an unknown for me too, but my assumption is that they can take some abuse either in charging or discharging (shorting them will cause a fire though  :bug_eye :bug_eye ) based on what F1 is doing to them in their race cars.

I'll have to do some reading....  :icon_study:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on March 16, 2015, 01:05:47 AM

I'll have to do some reading....  :icon_study:

You'll be gone a long time then  :icon_lol: and hence why I'd read enough and bought one on the basis there's only one way to find out.

The battery that replaced the one that dropped off a cliff 3 years ago is going to be replaced this year and I'll certainly buy another Lithium.

One of the many posts I've seen about lithium batteries is this one you'll see he left it for a second to warm up before pressing the button for the second time.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10153672646249465&set=vb.704279464&type=2&theater

JTT

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on March 15, 2015, 11:37:33 PM
I've been looking at these portable units, anybody tried them?
I have an Antigravity one.  Simply amazing.  It will travel with me everywhere.  Charges phones, ipads, etc., great flashlight, and will start a V8 multiple times.  I havent had to use it on my Tiger, but have used in numerous times on my 750 cc V twin ATV and it started it over and over and didn't show any signs of fading.  Charge also seems to last forever in storage.  Brilliant.
2003 955i Tiger
2005 KLR
1970 T100C

tntmo

I installed a Shorai lithium on my Tiger, it had been having issues starting when it was warm.  It would crank over and almost want to start, but 90% of the time it wouldn't fire.  I figured a bit more cranking amps may help so I spent the bucks on the lithium.  Well, it definitely cranks over quicker and starts hot or cold easily.  Worth the bucks for me!