News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Girly running rough.

Started by trophydave, April 11, 2015, 03:06:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trophydave

I got the bike out to ride to work yesterday morning,it started up as usual but wouldnt tick over,kept cutting out.After about six attempts and holding 3000rpm I managed to ride away.Probably not too popular with my neighbours at 6.30am.For the first few miles it felt very flat but this went away once the engine warmed up.Arrived at work 25 miles later and is running fine.When I came home in the afternoon it started straight up and ticked over.Normally I would put it down to just being one of those things but I have a big trip coming up in a couple of months and dont want anything to spoil it,does anybody have any suggestions of were to look?

Bixxer Bob

:icon_study: Sticking IACV... 

From the factory manual:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

trophydave

Thanks Bixxer Bob,time for me to do some homework.I understand not to use WD40 to lube the IACV.Is it possible to clean it in a ultrasonic tank?

Bixxer Bob

I've not had any success cleaning them.  As I've said many times, they have a habit of self-destructing when you try to take them apart.  (Tip: if you're going to dismantle it, do it inside a plastic bag.  At least that way you'll have all the bits after it explodes).  I'd settle for a squirt of carb cleaner and cycle it a few times.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Sin_Tiger

I'm not familiar with the complexities of the ICAV but from extensive use of ultrasonic cleaning tank's, my advice would be, if you can't be sure of getting All of the fluid out immediately after cleaning, i.e. Before it dries out then you could actually make things worse.

Your choice  :icon_scratch:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

trophydave

Thanks,carb cleaner and cycle it a few times it is then.Is the noise that I can hear when I switch the ignition off the stepper motor cycling?

Bixxer Bob

Yes.  The ECU parks the stepper, saves the trim settings to memory then turns it's own power off.  That's the final "click" you hear.

trophydave

Update time.I cleaned the IACV plunger,it was a bit dirty, with some carb cleaner and cycled it a few times,it seems to be moving properly.I didnt risk taking it apart just in case I lost some vital part of it.One of the bolts holding the IACV to its bracket was very slightly loose,I suppose that might not have helped.While it was apart I dug out the Carbtune and balanced the throttle bodies,they were a bit out but they wanted doing.I have ridden about 100 miles since doing the work,so far the bike is running just fine.
Thanks for the advice,next job is to clean up the front calipers. 

Bixxer Bob

Glad to hear it.  I keep saying, balancing the TBs is the best thing you can do to a Girly.  I do mine every time I have the tank off.

Triumph recommend using a digital gauge, it's that critical, but they're expensive.  Hmm,,,  I wonder how difficult it would be to knock one up... not that I have time for the next couple of years....

Sin_Tiger

I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bixxer Bob

Dunno,  you can buy sensor kits for just about anything from China these days so I don't think it would be too hard to find some plug and play sensors, amp and display.

Sin_Tiger

Yup, stabilised reference voltage and away you go, another project  :icon_rolleyes: