News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Bad coil??

Started by threepot, April 22, 2015, 05:57:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

threepot

This relates to my Super3 ok.  Symptoms..pulling away from stop,or low speed,every now and again feels like kill switch has been activated for a millisecond! Very slight hesitation. Could this be a coil? Thanks
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Mustang

does it have gills or pvl's ?
usually when a coil plays up it is an intermittant hiccup.
and my experience with the gills when they are going bad is they don't work so well at idle and low rpm

simple enough test would be to replace them with your tigger coils and see if the problem goes away

threepot

Mustang,thinking about it,these are off the tiger. I swapped them after i bought it,to isolate a problem,which turned out to be a blocked'witches hat'! Not sure what make tho? Noticed the bike a bit 'fluffy',kind of hesitant up until about 2.5k revs? Not like a miss-fire. Pulls clean after. I wonder if it could be a coil contributing to this? Did seem to run a little better after filling up with Shell v Power. I am thinking of a new set of Pvl's??
95 Super111
96 Tiger

GavD

TP,

some people (including me) have gone to TT600 coils like this one.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/triumph-tt600-2001-ignition-coil-stick-ref-20a-/161670423874?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item25a44ee542

I think I got a set of 4 for £35 off ebay, just had to buy a few connectors and some twin wire from Maplins, extend the wiring to them and junk the coil/lead set up. Works fine, never had any problems with them. I just had to build up the body of them a bit with heatshrink tube to seal them and stop water getting in the hole.

Because I got a set I've got a spare floating around somewhere. There only seems to be single ones on ebay at the moment. If you want my spare give me a shout.
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

threepot

Yes Gav,I have considered this mod?
95 Super111
96 Tiger

JayDub

There seems to be a few 595i stick coils around - has anybody used them - I assume they would fit but the resistance etc, I would fear for the igniter/CDI/ICU.
I am interested in this too and wondered what other Triumph triples or fours' sticks would be compatible..... anyone?
"When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened, or not."

Sin_Tiger

Take a run up to see JD and run the tester through the system, might throw something up.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

threepot

Quote from: Mustang on April 22, 2015, 06:10:59 PM
does it have gills or pvl's ?
usually when a coil plays up it is an intermittant hiccup.
and my experience with the gills when they are going bad is they don't work so well at idle and low rpm

simple enough test would be to replace them with your tigger coils and see if the problem goes away
Did the swap,and it has made a difference. Pulls cleaner,idles better,and no intermittent 'miss'! Not a massive difference though,but noticeable. Coils were Pvl's !
95 Super111
96 Tiger

JayDub

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on April 23, 2015, 06:43:55 PM
Take a run up to see JD and run the tester through the system, might throw something up.
I have only just realised who JD is  :icon_redface: how embarrassing.  Of course that would be fine with me, I'd  even make you a panad, but I'm not sure the tester would be able to diagnose an intermittent fault. If it's OK with Sin I could even post the tester to TP, and have you considered. The crank sensor?
"When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened, or not."