News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Rear Sprocket

Started by Bixxer Bob, May 07, 2015, 11:23:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

I recently fitted a new chain to my Girly, and today I convinced myself that the sprocket alignment is out, mainly due to a vibe that seems to be chain-related.  I had a quick look at the old sprockets and they have a bit of wear on the side of the teeth and so I wondered whether the rear sprocket is the right way round.  I'm certain it's the same as the one I took off, but I'm not sure that it's right.  The rear sprocket has a shoulder on one side so.... on your bike does the shoulder go outwards ie facing the road and the flat side facing the wheel, or does the shoulder go inwards, facing the wheel and the flat side facing the road? :^_^
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

John Stenhouse

My shoulder faces outwards towards the road
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Bixxer Bob

As does all the pics I can find on Ebay, so mine's right.  Oh well... :icon_rolleyes:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Mustang

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on May 07, 2015, 11:59:04 PM
As does all the pics I can find on Ebay, so mine's right.  Oh well... :icon_rolleyes:
I bought an ebay chain once that did exactly that ............put the OLD chain back on noise went away .
I will never try to save a buck on a chain again .

nickjtc

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on May 07, 2015, 11:23:42 PM
I recently fitted a new chain to my Girly,

Is your chain tension correct? I found out to my cost last year that if the chain is too tight you will experience a constant rumbling noise from down below, and you will significantly speed up sprocket wear. Don't ask!!
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: Mustang on May 08, 2015, 12:54:42 AM
I bought an ebay chain once that did exactly that ............put the OLD chain back on noise went away .
I will never try to save a buck on a chain again .

I spent the money and got a DID chain with good sprockets, and the tension is ok, so I guess it just needs a little time.  Still gonna put a straight edge on the sprockets though  :icon_rolleyes:

John Stenhouse

Other thing is to check the wheel alignment, knowing you it'll be fine but..........
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

JayDub

Bought a 'JT' rear sprocket once and it rocked on the bench, but had them before with no probs... (or since)