News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

01 955 vs 15 800 XCx

Started by NortonCharlie, May 09, 2015, 04:37:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NortonCharlie

I really like my 01 955, on my 2nd one with only about 19,000 miles on it.  But this new XCx appears to do everything I want my bike to do but better.  Been considering $1500 worth of suspension upgrades on the 01 since the old shock is getting a little fluky, that is flukier than it was. 

My bike is worth about $2000 to the dealer but I have friends that will get it 1st.  Not going to be worth $3500 with the new shock.  I think I could stay happy with my 955, why would I want push button cruise control when I have a perfectly good O-ring on my bar end.  That 21 inch front wheel  and a bit less weight might be nice when I'm 50 miles from pavement.  Gotten used to packing everything up in those big fat Givi bags, have to learn all over again where everything goes.  Guess I'd have to start buying full coverage insurance again at least for a few years.  Don't think hanging on to the 01 as long term investment will ever work out as well as the Norton. 

Any thoughts on the subject?

01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

nickjtc

You can only ride one at a time and if you have two machines that (to all intents and purposes) do the same thing, why keep the older one? Unless, of course, you have a place to keep it and are prepared to work on it as necessary. But if it is just going to sit, set it free to someone who can enjoy the pleasures of the bike. And who can join this forum!
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

JayDub

Quote from: nickjtc on May 09, 2015, 06:16:39 PM
But if it is just going to sit, set it free to someone who can enjoy the pleasures of the bike. And who can join this forum!
:iagree

Sin_Tiger

Tye 800 is a very capable machine and I'd happily ride it a very long way but it doesn't have tye same character of the older models. So if you want to enjoy the quirks and have that feel good factor when you walk in the garage sick with the Girly. If however you want to ride and ride and one day ask the same question here then go for the 800.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

NortonCharlie

I appreciate the input, doesn't make the decision any easier.  I wouldn't keep both, I have a friend that would gladly buy it for what the the dealer would give me in trade.   If it wasn't for the $10,000+ it would cost me to make the transition it would be an easy choice, though I would shed a gentle tear seeing the old girl go.  Sending her 80,000 mile sister go off to live with a friend last year was hard enough.  Sometimes I wonder if I will ever get my Norton back to being road worthy.  Only road her a couple times since I got the Tiger back in 02 and my Sprint RS does everything the Norton ever wanted to but better.  I only put a few hundred miles on it last year. 

This "LIKE" button on the posts is that a new thing ?  I like it.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

nickjtc

Quote from: NortonCharlie on May 10, 2015, 04:16:59 PM
Sometimes I wonder if I will ever get my Norton back to being road worthy.

Been in THAT situation too. Had a '71 Commando and a '67 N15CS, just sitting for several years. Then the opportunity to buy a house came up and I needed the money for a down payment so it was a relatively easy decision to let them go. Harder to let the Thruxton go at the same time, though!

But the good that came out of it was a new (to me) house and a '96 Tiger!! :thumbsup
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Sin_Tiger

There's a like just for the he'll of it then  :icon_mrgreen: One thing is for sure, you wouldn't spend a lot of time or money servicing an 800, service intervals are huge. What about looking for a low miler of the pre-wifly model.

My response wasn't very well worded but in essence, if I could only have one bike and needed a reliable long distance mule that I can pick up, it would have to be the 800 but I'd have to be on serious porridge rations before I could part with the Steamer.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

NortonCharlie

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on May 10, 2015, 07:24:01 PM
There's a like just for the he'll of it then  :icon_mrgreen: One thing is for sure, you wouldn't spend a lot of time or money servicing an 800, service intervals are huge. What about looking for a low miler of the pre-wifly model.

I don't see any big service cost on my Girly, except the shock but that is really an upgrade and doesn't really count. I stay on top of all the little niggles and kind of enjoy a little wrenching.  I've been tempted by the 800 for a few years, rode one a couple years ago.  Some of these new features on the new "wifly" model makes it all the more tempting.  Push button cruise control for one and it sounds like they really went all out and on the suspension components on the new XCx.  The money wouldn't break the bank, likely my 01 or whatever I replace it with will be the bike that lasts me the rest of my days.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

JayDub

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on May 10, 2015, 07:24:01 PMI'd have to be on serious porridge rations before I could part with the Steamer.
which one?  :ImaPoser the blue one?  :icon_biggrin: