News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

will Tiger 800 or Explorer front wheel fit on 05 Girly?

Started by haggis95, December 04, 2016, 06:04:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haggis95

Here's the bike with the new wheel - runs like a charm!It also makes the bike look a lot more "current."
There's a Tiger in my garage

haggis95

Timbox2

2016 Tiger Sport

haggis95

Almost, in the end.

So I bought it as an Explorer wheel - but it's also a Tiger 800 XC wheel

It had an inside axle diameter of 20mm, so I had a local chopper custom shop change out the OEM wheel spacer for one that measured 17mm to fit the axle from the Tiger 955.

I also needed spacers made, so what I did there was just take the old wheel with the old spacers, and the new wheel to the same shop and asked them to replicate the dimensions with new spacers, which they did.

The rotors are EBC wave rotors from ebay./ They also fit a number of Tiger/explorer models.

Strangely I had the hardest time getting the fasteners for the rotors. My local Triumph dealership wouldn't order them for me because they didn't fit the vin number of my bike! In the end I ordered them from England from a company called Competition Fasteners. They were DISC RETAINING SCREW: TRIUMPH FRONT M8 X 30 made of Titanium.

In fact my dealer refused to help at any stage of this project. They said it was a liability issue.

Bike Bandit no longer carries Triumph parts so I was not able to use them to find parts numbers so I used http://www.worldoftriumph.com/triumph-motorcycle-parts.html

Right now I don't have a speedo, so that's my next little project. Anyone have any suggestions?

My biggest fear was that my calipers would not be in the right position for the new rotors, but they were perfect.

I think the new wheel makes the bike look much more purposeful. I am also far more confident taking it off road.

Chris Canning

Great job looks really good,not sure what the original speedo is/was but assuming it's electrical the Yellow Box recalibrator is what I used for my conversion and it's still go strong.

Timbox2

Ah OK, as Chris says, Good Job. The Gen Triumph screws are £5 EACH!! so I doubt yours were much more, were they? They are encapsulated though, but as long as you use Threadlock its the same thing really.

2016 Tiger Sport

haggis95

It was about $100ish for ten bolts! 

But they are titanium, and quite light.

The instructions that came with them said to use copper slip anti-seize. Which I did.

haggis95

Quote from: Chris Canning on July 09, 2017, 06:15:31 PM
Great job looks really good,not sure what the original speedo is/was but assuming it's electrical the Yellow Box recalibrator is what I used for my conversion and it's still go strong.

So does this connect to the original speedo?

Timbox2

Quote from: haggis95 on July 09, 2017, 09:09:42 PM
It was about $100ish for ten bolts! 

But they are titanium, and quite light.

The instructions that came with them said to use copper slip anti-seize. Which I did.

Ah yes, was forgetting about the Titanium bit, well they wont corrode.
2016 Tiger Sport

Chris Canning

Quote from: haggis95 on July 09, 2017, 09:11:13 PM
So does this connect to the original speedo?

It fits in the speedo wire between the hub and the speedo head and you can alter it +25/-25 assuming it's electric like the 955.

haggis95

Quote from: Chris Canning on July 09, 2017, 09:59:29 PM
It fits in the speedo wire between the hub and the speedo head and you can alter it +25/-25 assuming it's electric like the 955.

I had to lose the sending unit because it wouldn't fit in the new wheel, so I need a new sending unit arrangement. It looks like they make one too.