News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Boingy bits ?

Started by PeteH, June 03, 2015, 08:17:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PeteH

Ok, When the rear of the bike is raised or lowered (by pushing hard down) something is making the spring go boing for want of a better description, it passed its MOT last Saturday and the examiner couldn't find a fault, any ideas ?? Im leaning towards the bottom shock mount as the bike suffered the worst of winter with not much in the way of care  :icon_redface:
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

Sin_Tiger

Sounds like it's catching or sticking, then releasing creating the Boing. I would try giving it a good dousing in ACF or WD40 at least to see what happens.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

nickjtc

:iagree A spritz here and there with your freer-upper or lubricant du jour around the moving bits may help.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Mustang

nickjtc

Also.... everything greased recently???

PeteH

Quote from: nickjtc on June 03, 2015, 09:53:16 PM
Also.... everything greased recently???
Err, no..... :icon_redface: juggling too many other things and taken my eye off the ball, still sorting the front brakes ie- new discs....pads and now had to strip the calipers to fit new seals and take the master cylinder into work to remove a fecked up cover screw.
Edit to add....Also had to put a new battery on her even though the optimate was used through the winter  :^_^

nickjtc

If it has breasts or wheels, it is going to cost you money!  :icon_wink: :icon_lol: :icon_biggrin:

PeteH

Its the bottom shock mount, rear end stripped down and top bolt removed from shock and it won't budge. Tried drifting the bush out but its feckin solid  :icon_cry:
Need to make a puller now and if that fails, rebuild hope for the best and get Wales out of the way.

PeteH

Very expensive lesson learned today.....keep on top of your maintenance.
Had the swing arm with attached shock on the brake press in work as Tiger -G`s puller and FBH couldn't cut it. Had 150b on the fecker and it wouldn't shift. so we left it to stew under pressure while we had a brew.
During the brew the bottom shock mount split so a new shock is now needed, with the shock removed we could access the inner bearing sleeve to find it just about welded to the sleeve - only option was to grind it off.
Still a new shock cant hurt the ride quality even if it is going to be a budget Hagon  :nod

Chris Canning

I'll sell you the stocker from my 955 is you don't want to go that route although it'll need new bottom bearing the needle rollers have a habit of dropping out done 6000 never seen a winters day in it's life.

PeteH

Very kind Chris...I take it yours is of the early variety so should fit ok? Just done a quick on world of triumph and cant see any bearings listed so are these a readily accessible item? If so PM me your asking price  :thumbsup

Edit just to add.... WoT  Shock for 885i Part # ending in 870 is coming in at  £743
                                                  955i  -     -     -       - 872 -      -       -   -  £94  ???
                                                  955i  -     -     -       - 873 -      -       -   -  £711

Chris Canning

John Stenhouse

I thought the length was different
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Chris Canning

My understanding is there's two 99/2003 and 2003 onwards.

trophydave

Quote from: PeteH on June 10, 2015, 01:17:15 AM
Very kind Chris...I take it yours is of the early variety so should fit ok? Just done a quick on world of triumph and cant see any bearings listed so are these a readily accessible item?

Sprint Manufacturing do a bearing that fits,the rollers in it are held in place so they dont drop out all over the floor when you fit it.