News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Fuel Gauge Display issue.

Started by aergern, June 09, 2015, 05:05:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mat-tiger1

Hi any update on your fuel sender issue as yet?  :^_^

Reason I'm asking is that when I went to ride with the Triumph affiliated Trailquest a few weeks ago, ( http://www.trailquestadventure.com/ ) the instructor there told me that almost all of his Xcx's (he has six in use constantly) had issues with the fuel gauges either not registering correctly or not registering at all!  :icon_eek:

So this seems to be a known issue back at the factory, so go pester your dealer & get it sorted whilst still under warranty!  :nod
All the best, Mat-tiger1. 👍
2021 Tiger 900 RP & 1982 Yamaha XT550 (For old times sake) Bike history:- 2018 Tiger 800 XCA Korosi Red. 2015 Tiger 800 XCX Caspian Blue, 2005 Tiger 955i Lucifer Orange.

aergern

Quote from: mat-tiger1 on July 05, 2015, 06:29:25 PM
Hi any update on your fuel sender issue as yet?  :^_^

Reason I'm asking is that when I went to ride with the Triumph affiliated Trailquest a few weeks ago, ( http://www.trailquestadventure.com/ ) the instructor there told me that almost all of his Xcx's (he has six in use constantly) had issues with the fuel gauges either not registering correctly or not registering at all!  :icon_eek:

So this seems to be a known issue back at the factory, so go pester your dealer & get it sorted whilst still under warranty!  :nod

They have "ordered" the part but have yet to call me about it. I figured that it would be after the 4th holiday before they got back to me.

The fuel gauge on the display is and has worked perfectly fine for almost 260 miles since I swapped the levers. It's probably a fluke but we'll see. I'll be calling them this week about the repair. I'm not terribly worried as it's in their system and the dealer I go to has treated me fairly well over the last 5+ years I've dealt with them. :)
--
When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.

blacktiger

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on June 21, 2015, 11:10:06 AM
As John says, the clutch switch has been on Triumphs for many years and part of the start inhibit circuit for almost as many.

If you managed to start and run the bike with the shorty levers then that has nothing to do with the issue you're experiencing.

I wouldn't be so sure. On the early 800s that clutch switch alters the fueling such that the tickover rises when the clutch lever is fully home. It works like a diesel anti-stall. I wouldn't be at all surprised if, on the new ones, it has other effects as well.
It's a bit of a tell tale that the fault starts when the levers are replaced and the clutch switch doesn't get activated any more. Put the OE levers back and it starts working again??????? :augie
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Sin_Tiger

Thanks for the correction. I remember that now  :icon_redface:  That was a reaction to a lot of complaints about stalling when pulling away from stop when hot. If memory serves it was introduced later in the second year of production and was also implemented during next service for older models. I can't remember the map numbers but I'm sure I noted them somewhere  :icon_scratch:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

blacktiger

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on August 14, 2015, 11:07:06 AM
Thanks for the correction. I remember that now  :icon_redface:  That was a reaction to a lot of complaints about stalling when pulling away from stop when hot. If memory serves it was introduced later in the second year of production and was also implemented during next service for older models. I can't remember the map numbers but I'm sure I noted them somewhere  :icon_scratch:

In fact the update was introduced very quickly. I bought my first one in June  '11 and it already had the updated software with the anti stall feature.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

aergern

Well, I replaced the shorties that were labeled "'09 - '13" with the stock levers not that long after I posted this. The analog and digital fuel gauges started working immediately and haven't failed since. This was over 1300 miles ago. I'd bet that since the levers for '14 and '15 have different part numbers that the '15 levers trip something that's related to the ride by wire feature and the shorties weren't tripping that feature. I can't say definitively but I'm about 99% certain it was the levers for the older models that caused the janky behavior.  :^_^
--
When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.