News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

In desperation...

Started by JayDub, June 18, 2015, 08:42:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayDub

I know that pre 2000 TT600 coil sticks are a popular replacement for steamer coils, but are there any others? I wasn't sure if the later triples used stick coils.... I was hoping for a weather tight seal like the originals, Mine are PVL, but after re-shimming the valves And replacing the complete carbs, I still can't completely get rid of the surging when coming off tick-over, Also the 'on/off' throttle action, i.e. not smooth - so figured the coils were the only thing left to try?
Anyone have a good set of PVL/sticks/Nology to sell?

.....Or lend  :augie

Mustang

doubtful that ignition is the cause ....................
:^_^

JayDub

What's left????? It gets worse as the engine gets hotter
I had the triumph ignition tester hooked up and all good  :icon_confused:
.......... One thing I noticed is when I pulled off the vacuum cap on #2 to attach the carbtune, it made hardly any difference  :icon_scratch:

Sin_Tiger

Logical conclusion is that you have an air leak. Balance the carbs, then compare the butterfly openings which might point you in the right direction looking for a leak.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

JayDub

I checked for leaks in the whole system, Can't be the carbs - different set! Inlet rubbers are new as well :icon_scratch:

threepot

What condition is the airbox ?
95 Super111
96 Tiger

JayDub

Quote from: threepot on June 18, 2015, 11:56:10 PM
What condition is the airbox ?
Good TP, no holes and fits well at the seam/joints/carb rubbers, I even seated the filter with a bead of silicone... as Toya Wilcox would say - its a mythtery  :^_^

JayDub

@ Niall... whenever I took the carbs off I always noticed that the 3 butterflies were each the same gap, and when I was setting the replacements up they were all about 0.5mm at the bottom, when I checked the balance the they were almost spot on, just a slight tweek to #3.

Sin_Tiger

I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Mustang

DID YOU REPLACE THE ORINGS UNDER THE TOP CAP , SPECIFICALLY THE ONES THAT SEAL THE VACCUM PORT

Sin_Tiger

:iagree I was just about to add checking the diaphragm rubbers seating. They are easy to nip. And don't give us any guff like "they were alright when they came off the other bike" or will send TP round to sort you out  :pottytrain2

JayDub

Actually... I was also considering the diaphragms, that would account for the lack of difference when pulling the cap off.
I know the vaccuum o' rings are good coz I always hold them in place with a tiny smear of silicone (no, not vaseline) incidentally, I could hear the suction from all three when each one was pulled off.
...... and you can't scare me with the softy southerner  :icon_biggrin: