News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Grrr - Tiger keeps dying on me, in traffic, when hot - any ideas?

Started by nik_the_brief, June 24, 2015, 07:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nik_the_brief

I have had a couple of issues when my '04 Girly dies on me, it seems to be an electrical fault and only seems to have started happening recently when it's lovely warm weather and I'm in stop/start traffic in town when she's properly warmed up.

It has happened a few times when in that environment when it loses all power completely, the engine management light and fuel light come on at the same time and it coasts to a halt.  Stopping for a second then restarting it can result in it springing back into life and working again without having apparently done anything to 'fix' it.  On the more extreme (and recent occasions though) it has just gone a few hundred yards then done the same thing again.  The problem is that after a few starts with the starter motor it then kills the battery and I need a jumpstart (she's on charge outside my house as I type this).  It almost seems like there's just not enough electrical juice in the system to keep it ticking over when idling once it's started doing this.

I was wondering if it might be something to do with the sidestand cutout, I've tried cleaning the piston and it seemed to make a difference at first but it's just started again.

I'm not sure if it's my imagination on occasions but it sometimes seems to stutter or lose power when doing mid range speeds before runnign fine again but that might just be paranoia setting in on my part!

Any ideas people?

Mustang

ignition pickup sensor failure causes that exact scenario on a carbed tiger ,
what are the codes that come up on the

Bigfeesh

I had a similar random fault with the ignition switch, a common fault, the soldering is not to good underneath the switch, good luck.
Tiptop

Chris Canning

Just to complicate things mine was the same after a long run and it got hot,thought was the R/R and it ended up the stepper motor.

metalguru

If it has thrown the EML chances are it will log the fault, what fault code do you have?
Just as an offshoot, try the main switch connections at the switch and the loom, check the alternator phase wires (yellow x3) for condition and volts. At least 45vac @ 4000rpm.

2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

nik_the_brief

Cheers guys - looks like I'm going to have to invest in a diagnostic cable to delve deeper into this since I am only recently acquainted with these newfangled ECU thingies.  I'll get back to you all in due course...

nik_the_brief

HAd fully charged it, left it a couple of days.  Went to fire it up, she turned over several times but no joy so rather than flatten the battery or feck around I've called out the RAC as my insurance covers this.  Hopefully he can give me the fault code/s.  Ironically I have a cable newly arrived from Lonelec waiting at the sorting office to be collected.

I may well be seeking your continued collective wisdom. 

nik_the_brief

Right...

I've a few fault codes that came up...

PO462 Fuel level sensor A
PO230 Fuel pump primary circuit
P1231 - Main dealer specific
PO135 - O2 Sensor (this may be a non-issue I appreciate as I understand 'They all do that Sir!'

Following this up we isolated the electrical supply and found nowt wrong with that, power up to the connector from the bike.  So it's not the wiring or the relay - amIright?

Logic therefore dictates that it's the fuel pump itself.  A little light percussive maintenance (hitting it a few times with a socket set) got it running but slightly snatchily as if the fuelling was not quite up to the job (might explain the hesitation I mentioned in my first post).  Then she stopped, was quickly started again but then stopped once more, the same symptoms I had over the past couple of weeks with just increasing regularity.   

Does the collective massive out there in Tiger Triple land agree that I need to replace the fuel pump? 

If so, I'm only half handy with a spanner but is it a comparatively straighforward job that just requires a lot of dismantling before getting to the pump?  I have a Haynes Book of Lies to help me along, am pretty methodical and have just ordered a second hand pump from eBay which should be with me by the end of the week.   I assume that I need a new gasket too.  Or is this summat best left to the professionals in which case I'll get my local motorcycle mechanic to collect it and the pump and do it for me?

I'm hoping this is just my bike's way of testing my devotion to her!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated though people.

Sin_Tiger

Can't speak specifically about Girly's but my experience of many different electric fuel pumps is that is always been an electrical side failure. Have you tried a direct electrical supply to eliminate other items in the circuit?
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

nik_the_brief

Cheers Sin, yep connected multimeter to the wiring loom side of the pump electrical input and the RAC man felt that the electrical circuit to the pump was fine and dandy.

JayDub

It may have tested fine when stationary, but could be a connection breaking down when in motion,(It does also still sound like the the crank sensor could be an option).

metalguru

I would try looking at the main relay under the saddle,,,,,the one that goes 'click' a few seconds after the key is switched off.
Check battery connections and main fuse for heat discolouration while you are there.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

John Stenhouse

Fuel pump is on a plate in the side of the tank, it does require a fair bit of dismantling to get to but is reasonably straight forward. Best to start with an empty tank though.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

PeteH

Could be a totally bum steer but ages ago my 885i would stop running for no apparent reason usually when warm then start up again on the button even on the move...eventually it gave in completely and I thought the battery was fooked so put a new one on... still wouldn't play so left it at the dealers I was visiting at the time.
They got it going but couldn't replicate the fault and it didn't show up any codes...anyway, rode it home and it died again. I traced the fault to the wiring loom from the clutch switch did a fix and all`s been good ever since, still cant figure out how though  :^_^
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

Bixxer Bob

Fuel pump out is easy enough, I think I did a how to for it, if not I'll do it later.  Gasket is reusable just be careful with it, and make sure the tank is nearly empty  :bug_eye
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...