News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Grrr - Tiger keeps dying on me, in traffic, when hot - any ideas?

Started by nik_the_brief, June 24, 2015, 07:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

As for the dying when hot, mine started doing it in France (35 deg C plus)  but restarted ok.  Was mainly when dropping to tickover at junctions.  Probably sticky IACV and / or TB balance, as gentle pressure on the throttle (not even cracking it open a touch) was enough to keep it going.  If crank sensor it won't restart until cooled down.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

HockleyBoy

Charging system? Hot weather? Fan kicking in?

Had similar fault codes and stalls at traffic lights on hot days last summer  when riding through traffic and it was the regrec, fault only seemed to show when the bike was hot, voltage looked fine on start up but dropped dramatically when the bike was hot.

05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Bixxer Bob

In my case at least, reg/rec is fine, changed to MOSFET last year and never looked back, always around the 14.3v mark. I think a TB balance will help enormously.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

nik_the_brief

Quote from: HockleyBoy on July 01, 2015, 02:42:43 PM
Charging system? Hot weather? Fan kicking in?

Had similar fault codes and stalls at traffic lights on hot days last summer  when riding through traffic and it was the regrec, fault only seemed to show when the bike was hot, voltage looked fine on start up but dropped dramatically when the bike was hot.

Well knowing my luck it's both doing the same thing at the same time!

Fuel pump arrived from a breakers yesterday so it's one of my weekend things to do.  Does anyone have any experience of removing and replacing one whilst leaving the tank in situ?  If I drain the fuek and just lift the rear of the tank or will I have to take the bugger off?

John Stenhouse

Take it off, not enough clearnce between the frame rail and the tank.............ah re read, yes could be done in situ but as you will have had to remove all the bolts to do that anyway why have a fiddle when if you pu a blanket or sheet down you can lift it off easy.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Bixxer Bob

Most maintenance needs the tank off, and once gone everything is easy to get at (even the plugs if you use the tool in the toolkit  which you knew about, didn't you? :icon_rolleyes:)  so why not learn now.  Ten minutes tops once you've done it a couple of times.

Chris Canning

Always interesting watching someone trying wriggle  :icon_biggrin: and trying to make a simple job very difficult even though they are thinking the opposite.

When I lift my tank the biggest hassle is the Bagster tank cover   :icon_sad:

Two things don't try and lift the tank with it half full of fuel because that will be a hernia and don't leave the tank off the bike for a week because they distort over time  :icon_scratch:

nik_the_brief

Thanks people I had kind of guessed that it may be less trouble to remove the tank first. I won't be lazy and will do it tomorrow.

nik_the_brief

Update....  I replaced the fuel pump and put her all back together again, took her out for a spin and she ran like a dream for 30 miles or so then stopped. Fuelling problems again. Is it possible that I've just bought a dud replacement pump or that it's packed up after running for a short time. I did get it from a breakers via eBay.

Mustang

nik_the_brief

Aha. After much messing about the fault was traced back to a simple bunch of corroded wires at the rear of the relay block which meant that there was so much resistance in the wiring that the pump wasn't receiving a consistent voltage. I love the fact that it was so simple ( and cheap) to rectify. Not quite so impressed at doing it in a torrential downpour though.

KuzzinKenny

Hey nik_the_brief !! Glad ya finally found yer prob  :thumbsup

next time yer pullin Tigger apart coat yer contacts with  Dielectric Grease as it works on every plug, fuse and bulb contact to help stop the corrosion  :thumbsup

hope this helps

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

Bixxer Bob

It's nearly always something simple.  Finding it however......  :icon_rolleyes: