News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Intermittent fuel leak ?

Started by PeteH, June 29, 2015, 06:28:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PeteH

Back off me hold and stared the Tiger to make sure all was OK then noticed a petrol smell, sure enough it was running down the pipework and soaking the electrics. Got the side panels off and all looked good had a twiddle and re started and all was OK, twiddled again and it leaked but from where?
Took the plunge and have ordered some metal fittings for the tank just in case and after Chris strongly recommending it. So....does the tank need to drained to remove the old plastic fittings and what tape is best for the new ones PTFE?

Cheers
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

KuzzinKenny

Hey PeteH !! never done it as my Tigger is an 05 mod but everythin ya need should be here.........

http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,5670.msg36164.html#msg36164

thanks to EvilBetty  :thumbsup

hope this helps

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

Chris Canning

As I said to Pete got to be some kind of record an 885 getting this far with the original fuel fittings,as per the instructions apart from you don't need the male part as the original are metal,take the fuel out as it's a bugger to lift otherwise  :icon_redface:

PeteH

Thanks for the link KK but I did check out evils post prior to posting.....and Chris, still not sure what's going on as I started her again tonight with no problems but as you say after 16 years the fittings are on borrowed time, just ordered the tank side as the elbows were replaced under recall a couple of years back.
I was rather hoping to leave the tank in place when changing the fittings so will I expect fuel loss when they are removed from the housing?

Bixxer Bob

An on/off leak could be one of the seals.  replace the fittings anyway, but make sure the sealing rings are ok.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

PeteH

Fittings arrived today from Tom Parker Ltd, the guy I dealt with knew what I wanted from a limited description so here`s the part # cLCD100040V - £15.78 each plus VAT and postage.

Drained the tank via the removal of the top push in connector and feeding a hose off it into a can, then put a 19mm spanner end on to the fitting then with an adjustable spanner was able to turn the old tank fittings out, they came out real easy with no breakage just need to get some PTFE tape and insert the new ones then hopefully I`ll be ready for Wales :wheel

Thought of that Bixxer, then discounted it as the elbows are relatively new, did try one in the new fitting as it definitely a snugger fit.