News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

What Are Triumph Thinking

Started by Chris Canning, July 17, 2015, 11:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Canning

Little bird tell's me that Triumph have bought a DVT Multistrada  :icon_wink:

Sin_Tiger

You might get your wish after all but not this year.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bixxer Bob

Is that to go with the questionnaire asking " do we want electronic suspension on the next Explorer" and "How much are we prepared to pay for it"?
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

nickjtc

Some 'modern thinking' chaps and chapesses are now using the electronic do-dad extras available on a bike as grounds for decision making as to whether they buy it. So I suppose Triumph has to keep up with the times....???
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Bixxer Bob

:iagree

But it's up there with automatic gearboxes and electronic handbrakes on cars for me.....  :icon_cry:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

Electric suspension is one of the great PR con's,the manufacturers know that the average bike buyer doesn't know and a shock spring from a bed spring and give'em a button to push and they'll love it.

With sales through the roof since Ducati introduced the Multi and BMW jumping on the band wagon I'll be interested to see what Triumph do,order an BM XR you'll be lucky to get it by the end of summer.

nickjtc

And I think my '08 Roadie is complex enough with 'just' abs, efi, sai, O2, tps etc etc.. The owners manual is 50% full of electronic diagnostic fol de rol  :icon_confused: :icon_confused: At least you can get 'simple' software to tell you what is going wrong. But lord help you if something does....

Nick Calne

Does electronically adjustable suspension allow you to adjust the bike for the weight of a pillion?... that would be a good thing.  Otherwise it seems a little pointless.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: nickcalne on July 27, 2015, 08:19:18 AM
Does electronically adjustable suspension allow you to adjust the bike for the weight of a pillion?... that would be a good thing.  Otherwise it seems a little pointless.

Yes, and luggage load, plus suspension response. In some cases the suspension / braking / map settings are interelated. Once you go digital, the possibilities are almost limitless.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bixxer Bob

To quote my 1200GS-owning friend's wife, "Stop effing with the suspension settings, my bits are jiggling"..... :icon_redface:

Chris Canning

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on July 27, 2015, 11:40:29 AM
Once you go digital, the possibilities are almost limitless.

Well that's the theory the reality is the buyer gets boxed into a cul-de-sac of a choice of maybe 4 settings which may or may not suit,where the fun really starts is when the shock starts to wear and you have no extra options and what normally happens an owner ends up riding the bike in rider/passenger/luggage one up!!!

I've given up trying explain to folk that a crap shock is a crap shock be it electrically operated or manually.

And of course that phase has already been passed because now you get suspension settings combined with fuel maps  :icon_eek:

But nowhere as much fun as when owners of the K series BMW with ageing electrical suspension are faced with a bill for £1800 for a replacement stock rear shock.

Non of which has anything to do with where are Triumph going to find the a motor to match either a Multi or a BM XR unless they have idea's of shrinking the 1200 size wise and finding 30+hp

blacktiger

Quote from: Chris Canning on July 26, 2015, 08:22:18 PM
Electric suspension is one of the great PR con's,the manufacturers know that the average bike buyer doesn't know and a shock spring from a bed spring and give'em a button to push and they'll love it.

With sales through the roof since Ducati introduced the Multi and BMW jumping on the band wagon I'll be interested to see what Triumph do,order an BM XR you'll be lucky to get it by the end of summer.

Chris, I've long wondered about your thought processes.  :icon_scratch:  :^_^ ESA isn't a PR con because of the very thing you go on to say in the same paragraph. I remember reading a quote from a BMW bloke who said that in a survey they found that 95% of their customers didn't know how to adjust their suspension properly. So they developed ESA to make it easy for them.
It could be argued that ESA is a safety feature because it's much safer to be riding a nicely handling bike than it is riding a bucking bronco. Let's be honest, how many riders actually adjust their rear preload when they put the wife on the back?
I've not ridden a Ducati with their "Sky Active" suspension but hey if someone can design a system that adjusts my suspension to the conditions as I ride along, then I'm in...........................so long as it's not too expensive. And I believe that the price of these systems will come down over time.
At the end of the day people are generally lazy. In the car world think electric windows, air con, power steering, servo brakes etc etc.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Bixxer Bob

Ok, I've donned my black and white striped shirt and have my whistle at the ready......

nickjtc

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on July 28, 2015, 03:26:42 PM
Ok, I've donned my black and white striped shirt and have my whistle at the ready......

A bit early for a wobbly pop, but the popcorn can be eaten anytime :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

I must be the only rider in the world who does not fuss around with the suspension on my bikes. I set it for rider + luggage and go.... Having said that I probably would not know a knackered set-up or an acutely ill adjusted one if it waved at me!!

Chris Canning

Quote from: blacktiger on July 28, 2015, 10:10:14 AM
Chris, I've long wondered about your thought processes.  :icon_scratch:  :^_^ ESA isn't a PR con because of the very thing you go on to say in the same paragraph. I remember reading a quote from a BMW bloke who said that in a survey they found that 95% of their customers didn't know how to adjust their suspension properly. So they developed ESA to make it easy for them.
It could be argued that ESA is a safety feature because it's much safer to be riding a nicely handling bike than it is riding a bucking bronco. Let's be honest, how many riders actually adjust their rear preload when they put the wife on the back?
I've not ridden a Ducati with their "Sky Active" suspension but hey if someone can design a system that adjusts my suspension to the conditions as I ride along, then I'm in...........................so long as it's not too expensive. And I believe that the price of these systems will come down over time.
At the end of the day people are generally lazy. In the car world think electric windows, air con, power steering, servo brakes etc etc.

Are you married??