News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

955/2006 oil level?

Started by gek, July 19, 2015, 02:30:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gek

Hi all,

Just replaced stator and regulator from my tiger 2006....also changed oil and filter

When I refilled I was very carfull and checked the level....3,2 liters and level is on max??!!

Is this normal, the book says 4 liter? also only 3 liter came out and dipstick showed above min....

I have to turn the dipstick completly in and bike on the centerstand....or am I doing something wrong??

Thanks in advance,

Jan/Spain.

motoOzarks

Welcome,
You skipped the new member intro  :nono

I'm fairly positive you don't screw the dipstick in

Allow for oil to fill the filter, i.e. after you start it and run for a sec, shut off and check again.

If you used a Fram oil filter it will never be right

Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS
Have:  Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DRZ400s, Triumph Tiger 955i

gek

Sorry but I couldn`t find the correct topic to introduce myself.......by these....Im a belgian guy who lives in south spain...
I got the tiger 6 months now and rode 6000km till now...total the bike has 30000km.
No problems till now, the stator gave up and the regulator ruined.....meanwhile I did an oil change and filter (Hiflo).
Dipstick completly screwed in and on the max level I could put only 3,2 liter
The 6000km I rode it I reguarly checked the oil and was always on the same level (and by the way only 3 l came out....
Do I have to worry and fill it up (and way above max level) or ride with the current level....?

further info:I used same brand and model oilfilter and rode the bike 20km.....
dipstick part number: 1261180 ( if my eyes are still ok....)

Regards from sunny Spain,

Jan

Chris Canning

Quote from: motoOzarks on July 19, 2015, 03:11:32 PM

I'm fairly positive you don't screw the dipstick in

Yes you do,no center stand.

motoOzarks

I'llbejigger,
Quote from: Chris Canning on July 19, 2015, 06:33:11 PM
Yes you do,no center stand.

I think CC meant on center stand

According to the manual you do screw the dipstick in while the bike is level.

The washer on your dipstick may not be original.

Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS
Have:  Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DRZ400s, Triumph Tiger 955i

Mustang

Quote from: motoOzarks on July 19, 2015, 06:55:08 PM
I think CC meant on center stand

no on the center stand it picks the ass end up and gives a false reading .................

hold the bike upright level and on the wheels .........................

Bixxer Bob

:iagree

And if you've just done the Reg/rec and stator, make sure the three yellow wire plug and socket is spotlessly clean and making good contact.  Corrosion here is where a lot of charging problems start.....
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Sin_Tiger

Seal the connection with as much dielectric grease as you can get in there.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

NortonCharlie

3.2 liters is about right, the original die cast 955 motor on the 01 and most of 02 took right at 4 liters to fill with a filter change.  Sometime late in 02 they reduced the capacity by increasing the length of the dipstick.  I have purchased 2 later model dipsticks and need one more.  If you want a 4 liter capacity I would be willing to swap out dipsticks.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

gek

Thanks all for the good advice.....read on the german forum that 3,2 liter is about right.....still confused why those manuals say 4 liter?!
Greased the connectors well and will keep an eye on them....14,2 volt now...never had that before!!

I was surprised how much current the fan takes!!! And here in Spain with stop and go traffic its running constantly in this heat (42).....anyone knows how much watt the fan takes?

Regards,

Jan

fattyjr

just drop you a little info I got from another forum.

You shouldn't use dielectric grease to waterproof electrical connection as it electrically insulating. (check wiki) You can use it to seal the connector, but not on the actual terminals.

I have always used copper grease to seal elextrical connections and provide a better terminal connection.
98 tiger 885i, 2001 Daytona 955i, 92 trident/sprint 900, 98 trophy 1200, 96 trophy 900, 59 t120 bonnieville, 64 t120 bonnieville, 63, tiger t100s/s, 98 tl1000s, 07 Buell xb1200, 98 husqvarna sm610  x2, 81 husqvarna cr500, 84 husqvarna cr500, 98 xvs650, 90 sportster 883/1200 race bike. And a few more

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: fattyjr on July 21, 2015, 09:42:51 AM
just drop you a little info I got from another forum.

You shouldn't use dielectric grease to waterproof electrical connection as it electrically insulating. (check wiki) You can use it to seal the connector, but not on the actual terminals.

I have always used copper grease to seal elextrical connections and provide a better terminal connection.

With all due respect, whoever posted that is talking  :Topes yes it's insulating and thats the whole point. Electrical connection is dependent on a metal to metal contact so it matters not at all that dielectric grease is non conductive, in fact you could just as well use concrete or :Topes as long as it's non conductive and chemically inert and it'll do the job.

Take any modern bike electrics apart and you'll find it dripping with dielectric grease, it seems to be a rarer commodity in Italy though. No copper grease in sight.

If you're using copper based grease, I strongly recommend you stop immediately. Cooper grease is generally non conductive because the actual metal content is distributed widely enough to prevent the metal particles making a circuit. BUT if it dries out and the cheap stuff does or get hot enough to evaporate the grease then you're left with the metallic content, that'll be copper then, which I'm sure anyone who stayed awake through high school physics or chemistry will know is one of the best conductors around. So get that í in the wrong place and you are asking for a short circuit, lots of heat and even more conductivity. You figure it out but keep a fire extinguisher handy.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

John Stenhouse

Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

JayDub

Quote from: fattyjr on July 21, 2015, 09:42:51 AM
:bug_eye thats just used to stop yer nuts and things seizing!
"When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened, or not."

Chris Canning

Quote from: NortonCharlie on July 20, 2015, 06:56:31 PM
3.2 liters is about right, the original die cast 955 motor on the 01 and most of 02 took right at 4 liters to fill with a filter change.  Sometime late in 02 they reduced the capacity by increasing the length of the dipstick.  I have purchased 2 later model dipsticks and need one more.  If you want a 4 liter capacity I would be willing to swap out dipsticks.

You learn something every day e'h  :icon_scratch:

As for copper grease on electricals  :icon_eek: must be right he read it on the net  :icon_lol: but don't ask me to do it  :augie