News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

955/2006 oil level?

Started by gek, July 19, 2015, 02:30:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fattyjr

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on July 21, 2015, 03:15:20 PM
With all due respect, whoever posted that is talking  :Topes yes it's insulating and thats the whole point. Electrical connection is dependent on a metal to metal contact so it matters not at all that dielectric grease is non conductive, in fact you could just as well use concrete or :Topes as long as it's non conductive and chemically inert and it'll do the job.

Take any modern bike electrics apart and you'll find it dripping with dielectric grease, it seems to be a rarer commodity in Italy though. No copper grease in sight.

If you're using copper based grease, I strongly recommend you stop immediately. Cooper grease is generally non conductive because the actual metal content is distributed widely enough to prevent the metal particles making a circuit. BUT if it dries out and the cheap stuff does or get hot enough to evaporate the grease then you're left with the metallic content, that'll be copper then, which I'm sure anyone who stayed awake through high school physics or chemistry will know is one of the best conductors around. So get that í in the wrong place and you are asking for a short circuit, lots of heat and even more conductivity. You figure it out but keep a fire extinguisher handy.

Well 40 plus years experience from the old man says otherwise.  Never had issues with using copper grease to aid conductivity.  On the other hand, the maintenance crew at a factory I worked at traced most of the issues they was having to dielectric grease.

Only passing on first hand experience.
98 tiger 885i, 2001 Daytona 955i, 92 trident/sprint 900, 98 trophy 1200, 96 trophy 900, 59 t120 bonnieville, 64 t120 bonnieville, 63, tiger t100s/s, 98 tl1000s, 07 Buell xb1200, 98 husqvarna sm610  x2, 81 husqvarna cr500, 84 husqvarna cr500, 98 xvs650, 90 sportster 883/1200 race bike. And a few more