News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Odd charging issue

Started by benebob, July 22, 2015, 12:18:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

benebob

Having just gotten back from a 8500 trip without a problem I went to philly yesterday to look at some cars yesterday.  Stopped to reprogram my gps and the bike battery was dead.  It was 95 degrees and I was in a bunch of traffic for about 30 minutes (ie fan and a gps running)   Got it jumped and road home and it wasn't fully charged after an hour on the highway I am running a mofset r/r with the triumph harness from the Rocket 3.  My battery was bought 1.5 months ago and is a lithium battery.  So here is the stats.  Measuring at the 3 prong plug for the stator.  All 3 are 13.5ish volts ac at idle (seems low).  Resistance  was 1.5 in all of them.  Voltage at the 4 prong connector after the rr was 14.1ish dc at idle.  At the battery with the battery at 12.9 before running it is around 13.4 at idle, if stuff comes on it will go down to about 13.  Think there are any issues or was I just running everything down too much with the heat and the stop and go?  Hesitate to cut up the harness for the sasquatch mod as I have never found a suitable high am fuse set up that would work long term.
99 Tiger 885i (Killed 12/23/12 9:52am EST by a drunk driver) 06 Tiger 955i (traded 12/23/16  12:52pm)
13 Tiger 800

Bixxer Bob

your numbers are all ok, 14.1 at idle is good. you don't say what it is further up the revs but should be around 14.5v

All you need is here:

http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/acatalog/Troubleshooting-3P-PMG-&-RR.pdf

sounds to me though like you may have a cell down in the new battery so isn't providing enough amps.

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Sin_Tiger

I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

benebob

The 14.1 isn't at the battery but at the connector coming out of the regulator/rectifier.  Pretty sure it isn't a battery issue.  Actually this is the first battery that I have ever had that starts any bike I have had with authority.  Measured in the morning after sitting it is putting out nearly 13volts.  Took the bike for a 400 mile trip yesterday and all worked fine but that didn't involve the fan running or a gps.  Of course it is a bit warm for heated grips as well.
99 Tiger 885i (Killed 12/23/12 9:52am EST by a drunk driver) 06 Tiger 955i (traded 12/23/16  12:52pm)
13 Tiger 800

Sin_Tiger

It could be that auto lithium batteries have a different charging profile from low and wasn't able to take the full input at the lower charge state and just took longer to recover.

Wouldn't worry about the GPS, they normally draw less than 0.5 A.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

benebob

Thinking about getting one of those cig lighter volt meters as I can't seem to find one that is small enough to fit on my dash anywhere down low so I can track it.   
13 Tiger 800

Bixxer Bob

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...