News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

1050 stuff. Possibly the start of a long thread

Started by nickjtc, July 27, 2015, 06:51:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickjtc

Started doing stuff to Rhoda, which included stripping off the extraneous bits of plastic. My goodness there are a lot of bits and pieces to come off before you can even think of taking off the fuel tank. In that respect I really miss the Steamer. :icon_cry: But the good news is NO PLASTIC for the tank so no "ethanol induced swelling".

And then, lo and behold, Mr. Triumph (or Bloor if you prefer) has seen fit to include not one, but two accessory plugs, fused, for the bits and pieces we want to add, like heated grips and running lights.

Unfortunately I do not have access to wired females (plugs, that is) but this is a good start.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Sin_Tiger

If I remember correctly, one is for a GPS and the other for the heated grips sub-loom, check the wiring diagram and do a line check to the fuse box just for good measure. They are standard Durite / Econoseal connectors if my memory is again working today, so just $2-3 each.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

nickjtc

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on July 27, 2015, 11:52:56 AM
If I remember correctly, one is for a GPS and the other for the heated grips sub-loom,

Yup, and that is what I am going to use them for.

JayDub

It didn't take you long to get the tools out Nick... don't break anything now  :icon_biggrin:
"When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened, or not."

nickjtc

Quote from: JayDub on July 27, 2015, 04:33:31 PM
It didn't take you long to get the tools out Nick... don't break anything now  :icon_biggrin:

The PO is a close riding buddy of mine, so I know the history of the bike. However, being an anal retent, I like the wiring to be 'just so' so am getting acquainted with the bike by tearing in to it. I have to install the wiring for my GPS and re-do the heated grips by getting rid of the yards of un-necessary wire :icon_eek:. And then figure out where to plumb in the Scottoiler to get a vacuum.

And when it says, front and centre, in the manual "disconnect the leads to the battery before commencing" it means it!! Damhik.  :icon_redface: :augie

nickjtc

I'm feeling awfully lonely out here in the 1050 neck of the woods. Surely there is someone else with something to talk about.....

Getting to know Rhoda a bit more. Blimey what a palaver to get the plastics off. At least the screws/bolts are all the same size of allen key (unlike the Steamer) but it is like a jigsaw puzzle to get the side panels, fairing infill panels, fascia infill panels, side fairings  and nose fairing off, followed by the fuel tank with its 'quick connect' fuel line, fuel level sender plug, fuel pump plug and two breather hoses. And heaven forbid that you drop a bolt and watch it roll into the darkest depths of the garage.

Anyhoo, I did my anal retent bit and used the accessory circuit to re-wire the heated grips, tidied up the wiring for the running lights and fitted the led charging system light.

Went for a pre-work 50km jaunt this morning (isn't that wonderfully mind clearing...) with the GPS, and found that the speedo is 5% optimistic, but the trip/odometer is pretty much spot-on.

Installed a Fenda Extenda after work so it's time to get some riding in.

Bixxer Bob

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

JayDub

Nick, You need a Steamer in your stable so when you're bored you can take it for a ride, and then come back and tell us what problems its thrown at you  :icon_biggrin:
Or.... start a 1050 suspension/oil/tyres debate  :icon_wink:

JayDub

Oh yes... that brake line is going to scratch the side of your tacho - better sort it mate  :icon_salut:

Sin_Tiger

Yup that's pretty much what everyone finds with the speedo, please don't start a thread on that or I'll put a link in to the Trophy forum thread if you do  :nono that will test you staying power.

I'll be interested to hear what you think about the screen and the lights, don't go spending money on lights just yet  :blah
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

nickjtc

Quote from: JayDub on July 30, 2015, 12:10:58 PM
Oh yes... that brake line is going to scratch the side of your tacho - better sort it mate  :icon_salut:

Hmmm. Never noticed that, and I assume that the po didn't either. I'll look closer later. The bike has 85,500kms under its wheels, incidentally.

Edit: just had a really close butchers. The hose only touches the case at full lock and there is a tiny mark on the edge.

nickjtc

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on July 30, 2015, 12:41:47 PM
I'll be interested to hear what you think about the screen and the lights, don't go spending money on lights just yet  :blah

So far the screen is fine. I'm 5'10" and find that there is no buffeting, just the usual faceful of bugs. I wear earplugs all the time so there are no issues with noise.

Can't comment on the lights since I have not done any serious night work yet. But there are the supplementary ones on-board to help out if necessary.

nickjtc

More fun and games. When I picked the bike up last week there was a smear of fork oil around the left fork leg. Rather than immediately change the seals I have done the "stick a thin piece of flexible plastic up under the seals and slide it around the stanchion" procedure. A significant amount of crud came out so I am hoping that this will alleviate the situation. Time will tell.

nickjtc

Any meaningful relationship with this bike will involve getting to know the ECU and all its foibles. So I've bought a copy of Dealertool, which comes with a USB-OBD interface cable, and downloaded Tune ECU.

Both of them do the same tasks: diagnostics and error code identification and re-setting. Dealertool will enable me to balance the throttle bodies electronically. TuneECU allows identification of the EFI map being run on the bike and the ability for me to modify said map if any changes are made to the 'system'. Down the road I may disable the SAI system and remove the O2 sensor which will mean fooling the ECU into thinking they are both there.

So I've ascertained the map that is in the ECU now and downloaded it to my laptop for posterity:

Tiger 1050 up to VIN 535378 Arrow race silencer with secondary air injection Fuel up to E25 Minimum 95 RON (89 RON/MON) fuel

I'm assuming that the Arrow map is used for all non-OEM exhausts because the bike has a Leo Vince one installed and runs very nicely.

And interestingly enough the TuneECU threw up an error code for a fault in the fuel gauge sender which probably happened some time ago. A click of the mouse and it is re-set. Ain't technology wonderful..!!  :icon_wink: 

Sin_Tiger

I think that's probably the TOR tune. It was common practice to load that even with the stock exhaust to smooth out the light throttle response. Once I had that I never needed to touch the ECU again.