News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

1050 stuff. Possibly the start of a long thread

Started by nickjtc, July 27, 2015, 06:51:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickjtc

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on July 31, 2015, 07:44:15 AM
I think that's probably the TOR tune. It was common practice to load that even with the stock exhaust to smooth out the light throttle response. Once I had that I never needed to touch the ECU again.

Good to know.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Sin_Tiger

Now go for a night ride (slowly and on a straight road that you're familiar with), then switch off the auxiliary lights  :bug_eye and tell us what you experience. Lucas the Prince of Darkness is alive and well  :nod
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Mustang

there used to be a rally I went to for the old triumph stuff
and one of the events was a "Lucas Dependability ride" at 8:30 PM  :ImaPoser

nickjtc

Quote from: Mustang on July 31, 2015, 10:05:08 PM
there used to be a rally I went to for the old triumph stuff
and one of the events was a "Lucas Dependability ride" at 8:30 PM  :ImaPoser

Now now, be kind. There are many older Brit bike aficionados who would say that given the options of the time there was not much to choose from for electrical stuff.

Sin_Tiger

Battle of the giants, Lucas V Magnetic Marrelli  :tin hat then along came a Samurai Nitto Seiko, game over. A valiant Dunkirkesque action by Wipac (even the name has sado masochistic undertones). Guzzi had the somewhat Il Duche idea of using German technology with Italian wiring, disaster, if you want to turn your brain to meat balls spend an afternoon trying to figure out a 90'small Guzzi wiring diagram. I swear no two bikes came out of the factory the same.

Anyway back OT, howdya like them chrome bars  :bad
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

motoOzarks

Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS
Have:  Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DRZ400s, Triumph Tiger 955i

nickjtc

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on August 01, 2015, 11:26:41 AM
Guzzi had the somewhat Il Duche idea of using German technology with Italian wiring, disaster, if you want to turn your brain to meat balls spend an afternoon trying to figure out a 90'small Guzzi wiring diagram. 

Anyway back OT, howdya like them chrome bars  :bad

The early big Laverdas even had Lucas switch gear.

You've both got me lost........ they are handlebars; they steer the bike; they seem to be comfortable; they are shiny; no they are not ruffty-tuffty Renthals.  Am I missing something??  :icon_scratch:

JayDub

Chrome is for girls  :icon_lol:
Or in the world of ratbikes... chrome don't get u home, (a dig at harley/custom riders really)
Hey Sin... I had a Guzzi V50 - I hear you  :icon_confused: interestingly... the starter motor was a straight swap with an Astra one.
"When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened, or not."

nickjtc

Quote from: JayDub on August 01, 2015, 07:43:02 PM
Chrome is for girls  :icon_lol:

Well I am very comfortable with my feminine side, so perhaps you had all better start calling me Nicki..... :ImaPoser

nickjtc

Quote from: nickjtc on July 31, 2015, 06:35:56 AM
Rather than immediately change the seals I have done the "stick a thin piece of flexible plastic up under the seals and slide it around the stanchion" procedure. A significant amount of crud came out so I am hoping that this will alleviate the situation. Time will tell.

So far, time has told. Any 'leakage' has been reduced to a mere smear around the stanchions. I'm optimistic that once the seals get really nice and moist again that the necessity to replace them will have been postponed until the winter lay-off at the earliest.

A fix-it for the cost of an empty water bottle, rather than going to the expense of:

nickjtc

Quote from: nickjtc on July 31, 2015, 06:49:55 AM
Any meaningful relationship with this bike will involve getting to know the ECU and all its foibles. So I've bought a copy of Dealertool, which comes with a USB-OBD interface cable, and downloaded Tune ECU.

Both of them do the same tasks: diagnostics and error code identification and re-setting. Dealertool will enable me to balance the throttle bodies electronically.

I should have done my homework on this. Actually Dealertool does not allow you to adjust the throttle body balance electronically...... what was I thinking??? So as long as you can wrap your head around downloading TuneECU after getting the appropriate cable, why spend money when the freeware is there for all to use.

D'oh!  :icon_rolleyes:

Sin_Tiger

nickjtc

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on July 31, 2015, 07:11:07 PM
Now go for a night ride (slowly and on a straight road that you're familiar with), then switch off the auxiliary lights  :bug_eye and tell us what you experience. Lucas the Prince of Darkness is alive and well  :nod

Hmmm. I had my first night ride last night. It was on a main road with a fair amount of traffic, so no dark hedges or ditches.

My take on Rhoda's luminescence is that for the kind of riding I do (especially after dark) the low beam, though a bit diffuse, is perfectly adequate. High beam is more than adequate.

And when I flip the spots on, ice melts at 200 metres.  :augie