News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

My clutch went south while riding north

Started by ssevy, July 29, 2015, 05:43:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssevy

On my return trip from the Triumph Rally in Oley PA a few weeks ago, I noticed that it became more and more difficult to shift as the day progressed. Eventually I had no clutch at all, so I never speed shifted down any lower than 3rd gear, and rerouted to avoid stop signs on the last leg home.
I finally got time to pull things apart today, only to discover that the clutch fluid was nearly dry in the master cylinder. I drained and removed the slave cylinder, and it was a mess inside. Brake fluid had passed around the seal and leaked slowly out, and when I pulled out the piston the cylinder had a band of red sediment stuck around its circumference.
I used some brake cleaner and fine steel wool to clean up the slave cylinder, and then installed a new piston set, coating the seal with red rubber grease before assembling.
The master cylinder had a torn lever boot, and the insides of it were full of sediment and other nasty stuff. Because of the depth of the snap ring, none of my snap ring pliers would reach, so I filed down the tips of an old set of surgical clamps and used those instead. After a thorough cleaning job, I installed a new piston set in the master cylinder, again lubing the seals with red rubber grease, and then reassembled. I also installed new banjo bolt washers at each end of the line.
Tomorrow morning I will refill the system and expect to have my clutch issues all resolved.
I had rebuilt all of the calipers on my other Triumph last summer, and using the red rubber grease made a huge difference in the braking performance. Normally I replace the fluid ever other year in the brakes, and will now add the clutch to that schedule as well.
I did read through the sticky on rebuilding the master cylinder, but I used a large syringe to suck the fluid out of the slave cylinder first and then opened the banjo bolt so it wasn't a mess. Also, those screws on the reservoir are not Philips, but JIS. If all you have is a Philips, then use a bit and drive it down with a hammer before you turn it so as not to strip these very easily stripped screws. I replaced the regular bleeder with a speedbleeder, and I would encourage anyone doing brake or clutch work to get some red rubber grease, as it makes everything slide together easily, prevents corrosion, and in the case of calipers, makes them return to the open position and not drag. Great stuff!
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

nickjtc

Thanks for the tips. I'm a fan of the red grease myself.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Sin_Tiger

:thumbsup very timely advice, iit's something that gets ignored / forgotten about. I topped up just before Wales and noticed that the fluid was getting closer to soy sauce than is good. I change all those screws to SUS  hex screws as soon as I get it after previous bad experiences, even the new Trophy  :nod
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

ssevy

Just so anyone not familiar with JIS is well informed, the screwdrivers also work just fine on Philips heads, but mot the other way around. My set of three come from Vessel, and they are high quality. JIS bits are also available, but harder to find, at least here in the States.
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

nickjtc

Should I be saying "nyah, nyah" because the clutch on Rhoda is cable operated...???  :icon_scratch:

JayDub

Quote from: nickjtc on July 29, 2015, 03:34:46 PM
Should I be saying "nyah, nyah" because the clutch on Rhoda is cable operated...???  :icon_scratch:
Nope, you know you shouldn't tempt fate Nick  :nono
The only time I had trouble from a hydraulic clutch was when the nylon line overheated and burst (my bad routing)... but the number of broken/dry/frayed cables I've had....
"When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened, or not."

Bixxer Bob

I carry a spare cable. cost me £12 I think  :icon_scratch:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Mustang

Quote from: nickjtc on July 29, 2015, 03:34:46 PM
until that silly cable end frays ..........................

nickjtc

Quote from: Mustang on July 29, 2015, 04:56:17 PM
until that silly cable end frays ..........................

Indeed. But that's what a daily pre-trip inspection is for.  :icon_wink: :augie

JayDub

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on July 29, 2015, 04:48:01 PM
I carry a spare cable. cost me £12 I think  :icon_scratch:
And taped alongside the existing cable so all you have to do is connect each end  :nod innit Bob?
"When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened, or not."

Bixxer Bob

It will be next time I get the tank off.....
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Sin_Tiger

I'm just going to tape £12 to my clutch hose in case of emergencies  :ImaPoser
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint