News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Fuel line connection

Started by tgrrdr, July 30, 2015, 08:32:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tgrrdr

Last night I noticed gas leaking out under my bike after I parked and switched it off. After further investigation I discovered the connection for the fuel line was broken. I think I found the part on bike bandit (#7 on linked diagram).

My question is, how do I replace this? Do I just remove the metal plate and screw in the new piece or is it more complicated? Thanks.

http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/2005-triumph-tiger-955i-fuel-pump-filter-eng-no-207446-and-below/o/m121583sch568687
Bill Bornman 98BRG 05
N37-57.7 W122-05.0

tgrrdr

thanks for that link Mustang.

This may be a dumb question, but if I replace the plastic female fitting with the metal one do I also need to replace the plastic male fitting or can I mix plastic/metal?

I'm trying to decide if it's worth spending $80 to change all the fittings or if I should just go to the dealer and get an OEM replacement for the broken plastic one. Any thoughts on that?

One last question, is the slide referred to in this quote the metal piece I have the red arrow pointing at in the attached photo?

Quote from: EvilBetty on February 20, 2009, 10:35:00 PM

Then using EXTREME CARE not to loose any parts, I pushed the pin in on each tank fitting to allow the slide to be removed.  Once the slide moves beyond it's secured position you are going to have 3 parts fly into oblivion if you do not move slowly and purposefully; the retaining pin, the retaining pin spring, and a spring under the slide tab.  Set these aside.

Bill Bornman 98BRG 05
N37-57.7 W122-05.0

Mustang

that is what EB is referring to ........

I don;t know if you can even buy the plastic parts anymore

tgrrdr

Thanks, I guess I'll suck it up and order the metal pieces I need for both connections.
Bill Bornman 98BRG 05
N37-57.7 W122-05.0

PeteH

The plastic elbows were a factory recall item in the UK and were replaced with aluminium ones. I recently replaced the tank side fittings with metal replacements due a leak, it was cured for the Wales bash but leaked again earlier this week so new viton rings have been sourced.
If the tanks empty you might as well put new fittings in, mine were removed without tears which was quite a surprise
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

fattyjr

I just replaced the plastic connectors on my tiger.  Wasn't sure if it was the connecter that was weeping or the fuel hose, but to make sure (as I don't fancy a crutch fire)  i changed out the connectors for the valved CPC connectors and marine spec fuel hose. 

Got them off a guy who sells hose connectors on Ebay UK. 

Biggest pain in the arse is I don't know who put the connectors on for Triumph, but they must have used the hand of god to tighten them.  One of mine undid after a little wiggling, but one broke off.  I just had to file, scrape and pray to get the pieces out.
98 tiger 885i, 2001 Daytona 955i, 92 trident/sprint 900, 98 trophy 1200, 96 trophy 900, 59 t120 bonnieville, 64 t120 bonnieville, 63, tiger t100s/s, 98 tl1000s, 07 Buell xb1200, 98 husqvarna sm610  x2, 81 husqvarna cr500, 84 husqvarna cr500, 98 xvs650, 90 sportster 883/1200 race bike. And a few more

Dyn Blin

I cracked mine the night before a multi-day tour a couple years ago. I had previously purchased some Colder plumbing fittings, luckily.   Broke the plastic fittings both off trying to extract them, very brittle.  I became quickly disillusioned with the file & pick efforts, so I pulled the pump assembly, broke it down, & used a heat gun on the remnants.  Worked well & the pieces shrunk and separated.  Changed filter while was in there.
This is why we can't have nice things.

tgrrdr

Quote from: Mustang on July 31, 2015, 12:25:24 PM
I don;t know if you can even buy the plastic parts anymore

I rode down to the dealer today and bought a new female plastic connector. It was only $11 and I was able to get it today instead of ordering and getting metal ones who knows when. I messed around trying to get the old connector threads out for a while and then took off my tank. Decided it was time to eat so o I quit for today.
Bill Bornman 98BRG 05
N37-57.7 W122-05.0

tgrrdr

Quote from: Dyn Blin on August 02, 2015, 03:56:05 AM
I became quickly disillusioned with the file & pick efforts, so I pulled the pump assembly, broke it down, & used a heat gun on the remnants.  Worked well & the pieces shrunk and separated.  Changed filter while was in there.

Trying to get the remaining plastic out is a serious PITA. Is it difficult to remove the fuel pump? I tried to search (this website and google) for info and didn't have any luck.

This is where I'm at by the way.

Bill Bornman 98BRG 05
N37-57.7 W122-05.0

Chris Canning

Looking at the bike must be one of the very last to have twin connections because I reckon with the silver frame must be a mag wheeled bike.

As for how to get the threads jeeze you ain't trying very hard with the search their are loads of threads about such,use a model file cut a V in both sides and dig it out with a screw driver.

The male recall was on the 885 the 955 has always had metal males.

tgrrdr

Thanks everyone for your replies. I got the old connectors out and the new ones installed. I put everything back together, reinstalled the tank and battery and tried it out. At least for now, there were no visible leaks, the bike runs and didn't blow up or catch on fire so I consider that a success.

Quote from: Chris Canning on August 02, 2015, 07:27:48 PM
As for how to get the threads jeeze you ain't trying very hard with the search their are loads of threads about such,use a model file cut a V in both sides and dig it out with a screw driver.

I can never seem to find anything when I search here not sure what my problem is. I subsequently gooled it and found a thread where a guy removed the pump and used a heat gun to warm up the plastic. After messing around with one of the connectors for way too long that's what I did. One of the threaded parts came out intact after heating. The other one (that I had messed with) came out in little tiny pieces. I'm glad I was able to find my set of picks because I'm not sure what else would have worked.

I removed all this stuff from the back (fuel pump, filter, hoses). I didn't remove the white electrical connector because I couldn't figure out how to get it off and didn't want to break it.

One thread I read recommended replacing the fuel filter while everything is apart and if I had read that thread earlier I might have done that but I didn't so I just reinstalled the old one. At least this isn't the original filter so I'll try to find a cheap replacement and get a new gasket and change it some other time.

Quote from: Chris Canning on August 02, 2015, 07:27:48 PM
The male recall was on the 885 the 955 has always had metal males.

I'm not an expert but I'm pretty sure my male connectors are plastic. I read somewhere that the recall covered through 2004. According to Triumph's recall website there are no outstanding safety recalls for my bike so I'm not sure what to think. http://www.triumphmotorcycles.com/safety-recall-search

Can anyone confirm if these are OEM metal connectors? I found this photo in another thread. http://www.thespeedtriple.com/forum/trouble-shooting/9211-question-about-fuel-connectors-attached-fuel-pump-mounting-plate.html

Bill Bornman 98BRG 05
N37-57.7 W122-05.0

Chris Canning

The connectors in the bottom photo are the same as my 2001 Tiger,you'll have to excuse me as I'm still in a state of shock that you have fitted another original pair of females  :icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek:

tgrrdr

Quote from: Chris Canning on August 03, 2015, 09:16:38 PM
The connectors in the bottom photo are the same as my 2001 Tiger,you'll have to excuse me as I'm still in a state of shock that you have fitted another original pair of females  :icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek:

The plastic connectors were only $10 each and my dealer had them in stock so I was able to get my bike back on the road in a couple days. I figure since the stock ones lasted almost 10 years and 50k miles I have time to order the metal ones (and a new fuel filter) and replace them when I have time. The alternative was to have my bike stuck in the garage for who knows how long waiting for parts (and then finding time to do the work).

I think it's strange that I have the plastic male connectors and there's no recall listed on my bike.
Bill Bornman 98BRG 05
N37-57.7 W122-05.0

Chris Canning

Having had two previous 885i's the first didn't last long enough to have the male recall but the second did and they were made of the same kind and colour plastic that the female's are,what you have there I have no idea.  :icon_scratch: