News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Service stuff

Started by nickjtc, August 07, 2015, 05:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickjtc

It's all been done and shown before so I'll keep it brief. From this

to this (note blanket underneath the bike)

to this

via this

and this

took about two hours. Which included a five minute unsuccessful search for a panel bolt which bounced into bolt oblivion (hence the pink blankey under the bike to try to catch future runaways!) and twenty minutes tearing into the bag of the shop vac to try to [unsuccessfully] find an airbox screw that also went awol and was sucked up. Don't ask.

Notes: the cam cover is a real b#gger to get off per the manual, to the left. I had to remove the SAI gubbins from the top and unplug many electrical connectors on the right hand side to get just enough clearance. A helpful youtube video suggests that if the throttle bodies are moved backwards the cover can be more easily put on from behind. I'll try that on re-assembly.

Triumph have apparently changed the heat range spec from '9' to '8' for the plugs. Note the pic of the underside front of the airbox showing the extraneous hole there (allowing stuff to potentially be sucked into the clean side of the airbox) which has been filled with a suitably sized bolt.

More to come later.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

motoOzarks

It's a shame to mess up your pink blankie doing garage work. 
Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS
Have:  Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DRZ400s, Triumph Tiger 955i

nickjtc

Quote from: motoOzarks on August 07, 2015, 06:04:38 PM
It's a shame to mess up your pink blankie doing garage work.

Indeed. I even put it through the wash once I was done.  :icon_lol:

Anyhoo, job done. Valves all within spec; one of the exhaust ones is getting close to the lower limit so I'll have to watch that. Tried to check the throttle body balance but neither TuneECU nor Dealertool would connect to allow it. I'm assuming it's because with the airbox off the MAP sensor is not plugged in, throwing a wobbly in to the works?? I couldn't get the throttle bodies off to try the 'insert from behind' (:bad) cam cover install so it had to be finagled back in from the left.

I removed the SAI stuff (just to give an excuse to load a different map) and put in the 'aftermarket/95 Ron/SAI removed' map. It seems to be the same as the one with SAI but saves you from having to unclick the icon on the map screen.

Before I refit the plastic I'll install the Scottoiler (blanked off vacuum plug conveniently to hand on the throttle bodies) and I'm good to go. So, not counting the time wasted looking for lost screws/bolts, trying to get a read on the throttle body balance and installing the Scottoiler it turned out to be a job that could be done easily in one day.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"