News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Fork Oil Weight Comparison Table

Started by Bixxer Bob, August 11, 2015, 04:56:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

I was looking around for fork oil after my interesting time in France, and found that using the Weight Number as a comparison between brands is meaningless. For instance my Girly should have Kabaya 10W which in the linked table has a viscosity of 37.2. Other brands 10W vary in viscosity between 32 and 47  :bug_eye  Good luck with getting it to handle as it should with those numbers :icon_lol:

I'm going to try Silkolene Pro RSF 7.5W as its very close at 37.19.

There's lots out there, but here's the table I used:

https://transmoto.com.au/comparative-oil-weights-table/
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

Have always used Silkolene 15wt never used anything else and the quantity to taste,just don't expect a smooth ride on a cool day for the first 30 miles till the oil has warmed up.

For those with the old forks I use 720cc .

Bixxer Bob

720cc is what my book says to Chris.  Which Silkolene 15W?  There's 48.45 and 92.95 which reads as  "stiff-ish" and "treacle" :bug_eye  compared with the recommended 37.2.

I guess it's the 48 one, which is still quite a bit stiffer than stock, but then again, you'd need that.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Bixxer Bob

I've just used the Silkolene tool (here :  http://fuchsmoto.lubricantadvisor.com/default.aspx ) and it comes up with what I ordered and which is near the original spec.  I aknowledge you need stiffer forks Chris hence the 15W but nice to know I made the correct choice by two different paths.

benebob

I used RF 15w last time, liked how it road but 15-18k later when it came out it was filthy and somewhat grey.  I fear it started some early wear of my forks.
99 Tiger 885i (Killed 12/23/12 9:52am EST by a drunk driver) 06 Tiger 955i (traded 12/23/16  12:52pm)
13 Tiger 800