News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Starter motor.... woes?

Started by nickjtc, September 08, 2015, 02:06:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickjtc

I thought that starter motor issues were restricted to the early Steamers, but now I find out that Roadies can exhibit interesting idiosyncrasies too.

This bike has had on-again-off-again issues since new, according to the po. Occasionally 'hanging up' mid starter button push. I have been keeping the battery well charged because I would hate to go through the possibility of sprag clutch travails. At least on a Roadie the starter is a 'simple' unbolt and replace fix-it.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

motoOzarks

Have you tried putting a chrome one on it?

Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS
Have:  Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DRZ400s, Triumph Tiger 955i

JayDub

That sounds just like a sticky relay or solenoid Nick.
"When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened, or not."

Bixxer Bob

My Girly does it too.  I removed the solenoid, cleaned it and the contacts, refitted it and it was all right for a while, but it's back to its old ways....
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

John Stenhouse

Make that three, mine does the same thing, hasn't yet failed to start but it does worry you when it does it.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

nickjtc

Quote from: motoOzarks on September 08, 2015, 04:37:53 AM
Have you tried putting a chrome one on it?

Har har, har de har. :icon_wink: I believe we have had this conversation vis a vis the handlebars  :icon_lol: But I will look at the solenoid.

Sin_Tiger

I suspect starter "system" rather than the motor itself. The 1050 starters are pretty bullet proof, never heard of a failed one under normal circumstances.

Shorts on chrome bars on the other hand  :icon_wink:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bixxer Bob

Nick, have you cross checked the solenoid part number to see if it's the same one playing up on the Girlies?  If so it might be time we sourced an alternative.

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

nickjtc

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on September 08, 2015, 10:00:19 PM
Nick, have you cross checked the solenoid part number to see if it's the same one playing up on the Girlies?  If so it might be time we sourced an alternative.

No, haven't reached the point where I might be looking at an alternative, yet.

nickjtc

So, yesterday was the first time in 43 years of riding that I have ever been stuck by the side of the road due to an electrical issue.

Rode Rhoda to the gas station and filled up. At which point she refused to start. Ignition on, fired up the instruments, the fuel pump pressurised itself but no turn over. I had over-ridden the clutch switch to eliminate that as an issue. Anyhoo, no big deal... pushed the bike the five blocks to my lodge and left it there overnight. Went this am with a jumper battery and cables but, of course, it fired up first time!

To make the day somewhat constructive I took apart all of the connections involved in the ignition process and scrubbed them up like new, and also for s's and g's (nothing else to do) put a new front tyre on. It came with the sale when I bought the bike in July. Quickest tyre change ever for me, yet. Less than an hour.

And now every time I push the starter the bike turns over and starts immediately.......... hmmm.

I like mental challenges that happen at the END of the riding season. :thumbsup

PS. The charging circuit is working fine, but I will be getting the battery load tested just to be sure it's not the weak link in the chain.

Bixxer Bob

Nick, if it clicked but no start (hard to tell with a helmet on I know) my money is on engine ground connection, battery/solenoid or solenoid/starter motor connection.  If it didn't click, it's the low amp connections to the solenoid.  Or the solenoid itself.

Of course, cleaning everything will have solved those possibilities, except for a dodgy solenoid.

nickjtc

Thanks for the 'heads-up', Bob. Of course it didn't occur to me to look at the solenoid to starter connections. D'uh. At least the solenoid is easy to get to.

Have to admit though, that in all my years on two wheels, with 30+ bikes I have never had an electrical item go duff on me. There is always a first time, though, of course  :icon_wink:

Mustang

Quote from: nickjtc on September 14, 2015, 09:37:00 PM
Thanks for the 'heads-up', Bob. Of course it didn't occur to me to look at the solenoid to starter connections. D'uh. At least the solenoid is easy to get to.

Have to admit though, that in all my years on two wheels, with 30+ bikes I have never had an electrical item go duff on me. There is always a first time, though, of course  :icon_wink:

maybe it's the ghost of JOESEPH LUCAS  :ImaPoser

Bixxer Bob

Yes, check the solenoid / starter, but don't forget to check the engine ground cable; its right near the solenoid on the back of the engine, bolted to the engine casing.  It's not shrouded like the other connections and is more prone to corrosion.

I have only once, in 50 yrs of spannering, had a solenoid go tits up and even then it wasn't fitted to a vehicle at the time; it was controlling a starter motor that was being used for a model glider winch.  I have, however, suspected for a long time that all is not well with my Tiger solenoid.  Perhaps now is the time to change it....  One way or another it will point to were the problem is / was / is going to be next...

Sin_Tiger

:iagree I had the Trophy solenoid play up for just that reason, fortunately it was replaced under warranty. Just because they are tucked up under a fairing doesn't mean it's not getting hit by the elements, it just means it doesn't get looked at or cleaned and protected by dielectric grease (pause for effect) when it should be.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint