News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Starter motor.... woes?

Started by nickjtc, September 08, 2015, 02:06:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickjtc

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on September 24, 2015, 09:10:13 PM
I used the original battery for nigh on 4 years leaving it on a C-Tek for up to 6 months on one occasion and it never let me down,

I too have had good success, historically, with the batteries in my various machines. I sold my '00 VFR800 in '06 with nearly 90k km under its wheels, with the original battery in place (and the original chain and sprockets, incidentally).

During the 'off' season the battery gets hooked up to the Battery Tender and forgotten.

This bike is the first one I've ever owned with potential electrical system 'issues'. I'm not complaining (too much) because the bike warms the cockles of my heart when I look at it and ride it. Although I have to say (quietly and under my breath) that the Steamer gave absolutely no problems in this respect while I owned it.... :icon_wink:
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Bixxer Bob

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

nickjtc

The plot thickens. The local battery emporium, with whom I have done some business in the past, has lost all credibility with me. They insisted that their battery charger was better than mine, charged the battery (and charged me) but then did not pass judgement on whether it was kaputski or not. I had my partner take it in and pick it up, but they did not tell her its condition. At the same time I had her take in a Shorai for testing and they claimed that it was impossible to charge that kind of a battery!

When I finally spoke to the fellow who looked at the batteries he was vague as to the condition of the Tiger one, which leads me to think that they actually did sfa. Time to look for a new battery supplier. Rant over.

However, I have put the Shorai in the Tiger (with 270 CCA it should be more than up to the task) and will see how it performs.

While these shenanigans were going on I took the starter solenoid out of the bike and did the tests to ensure that it is up to snuff, which it appears to be.

All fun and games.  :augie

kraftykarper

Make that four!

Really interested to read this as the starter motor on my 2011 1050 has just started to play up, and I'd be interested to know what your thoughts are Bob.

Its covered just over 6000 miles, and it has started to play up on starting when cold. Never a problem when the engine is warm. The bike turns over then just whines. Next push of the starter , nothing. Ignition key turned off, offer a few prayers, and it starts no problem. When the engine is warm its no problem.

I've just semi retired this week, so during the winter I'll check all the connections and clean them up, any suggestions on a grease to use on the connections?

Now I'm only working 3 days a week it might be nice to meet up for a coffee Bob? When I was working full time there never seems to be enough time to fit in all the family jobs, grandchildren and house maintenance, let alone ride the bike.

I really love the 1050, and cant see myself getting anything else. The latest addition was an mra vario screen, a retirement present from myself!

nickjtc

SORTED (maybe).

Occams Razor has prevailed.... you know, the simplest explanation (without introducing too many new variables) in any situation is usually the correct one.

The battery was at the end of its wear cycle and showing full charge but then losing said charge quickly despite the charging system working as it should.

The Shorai is doing its job with a much stronger starter motor spin on start up. It's the last 'long' ride of the season on Saturday/Sunday, so we'll see how things pan out.

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: kraftykarper on October 01, 2015, 06:13:33 PM
Make that four!

Really interested to read this as the starter motor on my 2011 1050 has just started to play up, and I'd be interested to know what your thoughts are Bob.

Its covered just over 6000 miles, and it has started to play up on starting when cold. Never a problem when the engine is warm. The bike turns over then just whines. Next push of the starter , nothing. Ignition key turned off, offer a few prayers, and it starts no problem. When the engine is warm its no problem.

I've just semi retired this week, so during the winter I'll check all the connections and clean them up, any suggestions on a grease to use on the connections?

Now I'm only working 3 days a week it might be nice to meet up for a coffee Bob? When I was working full time there never seems to be enough time to fit in all the family jobs, grandchildren and house maintenance, let alone ride the bike.

I really love the 1050, and cant see myself getting anything else. The latest addition was an mra vario screen, a retirement present from myself!

Yes tot he coffee.  First thing I'd do is throw a new battery at it.  Cold engine is hard to turn over (thicker oil etc) and the starter sucking all the available amps drops the ECU and so cuts the spark.  Going back to it a few minutes later lets the battery recover slightly but now the engine has turned over there's less resistance, the ECU is now working, you get a spark and away you go.  It's kind of a transition period between a good battery and a dud which was never apparent in the days before ECUs.  A mechanical distributor or magneto would always give you a spark of sorts.  Once battery volts drop below ECU minimum (like when cranking on a weak battery) you get no spark.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Mustang

a good example is my polaris atv. It shuts down the ecu when the voltage drops to 11.2 volts
not a lot of wiggle room .
and they tell you that right in the owners manual

Sin_Tiger

:nod 11.2V anything that operates on a variant of the Canbus protocols will switch out all I/O connections.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

nickjtc

Definitely sorted. Went for the ride on Saturday/Sunday and everything is tip top. Then put the bike to bed for the winter. :icon_sad:

kraftykarper

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on October 05, 2015, 11:40:59 AM
Yes tot he coffee.  First thing I'd do is throw a new battery at it.  Cold engine is hard to turn over (thicker oil etc) and the starter sucking all the available amps drops the ECU and so cuts the spark.  Going back to it a few minutes later lets the battery recover slightly but now the engine has turned over there's less resistance, the ECU is now working, you get a spark and away you go.  It's kind of a transition period between a good battery and a dud which was never apparent in the days before ECUs.  A mechanical distributor or magneto would always give you a spark of sorts.  Once battery volts drop below ECU minimum (like when cranking on a weak battery) you get no spark.

Hi Bob,

Thank you for your reply.

You know, over the weekend I was thinking, it needs a new battery. When I've plugged the bike on to the optimate  for a few days, and after its gone in to into its monitoring 30 minute cycle, it indicates a good battery, and starts ok.

To confirm this I'm going to attempt to start it after 5 days of not being used. See if the problem occurs, then try it again after its been on the optimate for a couple of days. If it then starts ok that would tend to confirm the battery is on the way out.

So I think your right, its the battery, and I'll be getting a new one very soon!

Started my new part time job today, so the start of a new life style for me. Looks like I'll be working Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday so Thursday could be a good day for a bike day!

Bixxer Bob

Funnily enough,  I work the same days.

Not sure about this week as I have stuff on, but next or the week after should be ok.

Chris Canning

Blimey I haven't had a full Tim job for the last 10 years and still I can't find time to fit everything in.

Re Lithium battery I had one on my supermoto for the last two years and it's been really good although there is still a lot of if's and but's about charging them and even though the battery that's on my 955 hasn't been on all that long I might put a lithium on for next year because I've noticed how it has that extra punch right from the go.

nickjtc

Quote from: Chris Canning on October 06, 2015, 03:16:40 PM
there is still a lot of if's and but's about charging them

Not an issue as long as you use a charger that does not have a re-sulfation mode. A Battery Tender or similar will work fine.

Chris Canning

Well I wasn't going to go into that but god knows the last time I ever saw a battery charger as opposed to a tender must be 15 years ago at least.

nickjtc

Quote from: Chris Canning on October 06, 2015, 05:08:08 PM
Well I wasn't going to go into that but god knows the last time I ever saw a battery charger as opposed to a tender must be 15 years ago at least.

Ditto. I like the idea of "plug it in and forget it".